• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

61 Charlie 2019

This is pic of early spring garden site. Rainwater collection system in shade. Stacked IBC totes wrapped with materials matching hangar.
638c821d6b86935596f33f268819c8a4.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410.F using Tapatalk

:welcome: to the Hot Pepper, Ron!

Good luck with your 2019 grow! I am interested
in seeing more pics of your rainwater collection
system. Oh, yeah, and the peppers in containers,
too!

Southern porch on corner of building. Full sun ... 'cuz it's an airport. Sixteen feet of gutter diverting rainwater to collection system on left side. Two short raised beds in front for some basic crops; rhubarb, radishes, lettuce, onions, garlic, strawberries. Peppers in white containers sitting on a pallet with casters. Raspberries with trellis on far left.
70ab169354adccd88dab8335ab9e81a5.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410.F using Tapatalk

Infow on upper right with first-flush collection set-up. Main stand-pipe feeds bottoms of two stacked IBC totes wrapped in steel skins same as building. Overflow (after full) on right-side as well. 550 gallon capacity. Gravity fed outflow at stand-pipe bottom feeds manifold with blue hand-valves feeding raspberry patch and raised beds (lower left).
a7716af7206838cff77f6609bf3b6f63.jpg

A closer look at my peppers. The Habanero at the bottom of pic was just transplanted yesterday; others have been transplanted/hardened over past week. ALL were purchased from nurseries. Hope to start from seeds next season.
24d80e4fc94b47f658e3d196b909f9d1.jpg

Habanero just transplanted yesterday. It is much greener than my others. Not sure why ... Probably not stressed yet.
Some buds on top. Wondering if I should top this one? Figured I would give it couple days. Temps in upper 50s today. I’m sure none of the peppers like that.

59966963ad9cc737e3df1c8290819061.jpg
fa07ad1612f37ad89af182f255e67d90.jpg

Garden up and running.
9ef1ed18695f6ae1dc75e2827dcdd5e6.jpg

I started my tomatoes in my shop, with insufficient light, so there are a couple of spindly ones there.  We'll see if they recover now that they are outside.
The black buckets are being bottom fed.  They have perlite medium; started as top-fed dutch bucket.  
All my peppers are in white buckets, of various designs/holes/drainage, etc ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really nice to see how your grow space has
developed, RF. Ten days has seen a lot of growth.
Looks really good, nice and tidy. Your rainwater
catch system is awesome, as well. How much
rain do you get there? How long is the WI grow
season?

Good luck going forward!

Paul ...
Wisconsin rainfall averages about 35 inches per year.  Like many others in the mid-west, we've had a particularly wet spring/early summer this year.

My problem at the airport is that I don't have access to water, except for what I can capture and hold.  It is also wide-open to wind and sun, so it can get pretty parched during summer months when the rain doesn't fall.  I hope to take care of the dry-times with the harvested rainwater.

Growing season is typically from early May to early October ... I figure about 150 days.   I attempted to extend it a bit this year with a small dutch-bucket set-up in my shop this spring.

5fe97f87499de35bda84affd8a4a3a5b.jpg

Not too much different than our climate here.
We are at about 45˚N latitude, Not sure about
Ft. Atkinson.

Our problem here is that May is usually decent,
then June is a crap shoot. Especially the past four
seasons. I call it the June Suck.

The garage Dutch Bucket set-up is nice. You should
get some good tomatoes from those vines! Looks
like a squash and pepper in there, too.

Nice lookin setup Chiz!

How do you control water-flow? Manual or do you have something automatic?

rfchisholm said:
DR ... automation.
I have (had) a reservoir with heater/aerator and pump on timer.
I hope the doesn't mean that it was a victim of the t-storm.

One pod down, many to come!

Back