• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Quebo's first ever attempt at growing plants [2019]

Hi,

For the first time ever I'm growing some plants! I chose to grow jalapenos, so I bought some seeds and some potting soil and I got to it (without really reading into it first).

The first mistake I made was to plant about 10 seeds in one small pot, and then waiting too long to move them to a bigger pot. I removed some of the weaker looking plants, so I now have 4 mid sized plants in one big container and then 3 smaller plants in small pots (at least for now). I planted in mid march and they've been growing slowly, weather has been quite bad and summers here are short (amsterdam area).

One of the smallest plants had a flower growing, it opened up a couple of days ago but fell off today :( I don't know if thats a good or a bad thing, whats left where the flower used to be is what looks like the tiny beginning of a pepper but that may just be wishful thinking.

I also planted some habanero's and scorpions 3 or 4 days ago but so far nothing has happened.

Any tips or opinions are appreciated, no matter how harsh. Trying to learn :)

That flower, my friend, is your first homegrown jalapeño, congratulations!

Well done on just diving in there, and even from scratch - I think you're well on your way to a good first season. Just be careful, this hobby is addictive! ;)

Your superhots will take quite a bit longer, but you might be able to see some flowers come July, and pods come August which should ripen in time before the cold comes back.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I think you'll find you'll like this place!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
That flower, my friend, is your first homegrown jalapeño, congratulations!

Well done on just diving in there, and even from scratch - I think you're well on your way to a good first season. Just be careful, this hobby is addictive! ;)

Your superhots will take quite a bit longer, but you might be able to see some flowers come July, and pods come August which should ripen in time before the cold comes back.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I think you'll find you'll like this place!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

thanks for the encouraging words :D the plant the that flowered is so small I can't imagine it can even handle the weight of a pepper haha, we'll see

quebo said:
... I also planted some habanero's and scorpions 3 or 4 days ago but so far nothing has happened.

Any tips or opinions are appreciated, no matter how harsh. Trying to learn :)

Jalapenos are lookin good. Be patient with the Habs and Scorps. The Jals are Annuums, but the Habs and Scorps are Chinense, so they will take longer to germinate - like 2 - 4 weeks, depending on conditions.

Keep after it and best of luck!

Welcome to the forum, Quebo!

DownRiver said:

Jalapenos are lookin good. Be patient with the Habs and Scorps. The Jals are Annuums, but the Habs and Scorps are Chinense, so they will take longer to germinate - like 2 - 4 weeks, depending on conditions.

Keep after it and best of luck!

I'll try to be patient, we have a couple of really warm days coming up so hoping for the best :)

PaulG said:
Welcome to the forum, Quebo!

Thanks!

So, by now I have two peppers growing and another plant has started to blossom so expecting some peppers there soon. The last couple of weeks weather has been great, about 30 degrees which is rare around here. I'm disappointed by how little the plants have grown though, they have pretty much come to a standstill. I have quite a few plants in one pot and they've been in there since march, could it be the nutrients in the soil have exhausted? And if so, what should I buy/do to get them going again?

On a positive note, two of the four habanero seeds I planted have sprouted and so has one of my scorpions :)

Bicycle808 said:
Welcome! Nice job, so far.

How is the chile scene in Amsterdam and the surrounding area?

I wouldn't know, I'm sure theres lots of people growing peppers but I don't know any of them  ;)

So,update on my jalapenos. All my plants are blossoming and growing peppers. The peppers are quite long and thin and not 'shiny', not your typical jalapeno, but i'm sure they'll come out just fine. Is it a bad idea to move them to a bigger pot while they are blossoming? Also, when do I harvest? When they get brown marks?
My superhots are growing slowly slowly slowly, I'm afraid I planted them too late in the season (mid june).

quebo said:

I wouldn't know, I'm sure theres lots of people growing peppers but I don't know any of them  ;)
Keep an eye on the grow logs and you might notice some members from your general area.

So,update on my jalapenos. All my plants are blossoming and growing peppers. The peppers are quite long and thin and not 'shiny', not your typical jalapeno, but i'm sure they'll come out just fine. Is it a bad idea to move them to a bigger pot while they are blossoming?

You can transplant just about any time. The plant will shift its resources to new root growth after potting up, and the other processes will slow down. Once the roots have found the margin of their pots, the top growth will take off once again.

​edit: You might use a little extra transplant fertilizer so the plant has the resources to grow more roots and keep the flowering and pod development going. 

Also, when do I harvest?

You can harvest jalapeños green or red. to your taste. As for the super hots, I usually judge by feel until I know what the pods on a particular plant look like when ripe. When the pods start to soften a bit, that's my cue to pick. If you want to make sure the seeds are mature, you can wait a little longer.

When they get brown marks? 

I have heard that the 'corking' is a sign of ripeness, but others may know better than I.

My superhots are growing slowly slowly slowly, I'm afraid I planted them too late in the season (mid june).

Can you overwinter them? There are some good tutorials on the forum about that.

Good luck going forward, Quebo  :thumbsup:

In my view, the corking is just evidence that the pod has poor on size rather quickly. It's the chile equivalent of stretch marks, lol. I often notice corking on Jalapeños before they even reach full size, long before they are ripe.

PaulG said:
Good luck going forward, Quebo  :thumbsup:

Thank you, and thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions! I'm going to harvest some green, and let others go red. How long will it take from the moment they stop growing till they turn red? Or do they need certain temperatures to turn?

The plants in the big pot have started growing new peppers in the last couple of days. Could that be an indication the peppers that were already on there are now fully grown, and its dedicating its energy to new peppers? Or is that just the result of weather being realy warm lately.

Bicycle808 said:
In my view, the corking is just evidence that the pod has poor on size rather quickly. It's the chile equivalent of stretch marks, lol. I often notice corking on Jalapeños before they even reach full size, long before they are ripe.
Thanks!

So, an update:

Had a couple of hot weeks and its peppers all over now :) nice. Not all peppers are getting the 'glossy' look, one plant in particular produces peppers that are really dry looking. Also all plants produce different size peppers, I guess thats normal :)

I just moved into a new appartement and now have a roof terrace (yay) so I can put them outside. We had a couple of really hot days last week (40+ celsius) and as a result some of the peppers got sunburnt, had to take them off.

The superhots are growing steadily too, but I still doubt they'll start producing in time, so might take paulg's tip and try to overwinter them.

+1 Mr. Joe.

Nice, healthy-looking plants, Quebo.

Back