• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Aluminet shade cloth %

Hey all. After last year's brutal summer and feeble harvest I swore I'd pick up a shade cloth for this year. Took a little longer than I'd have liked but I finally placed an order and should have it up in about two weeks or so. Of course, I instantly had buyer's remorse and now I'm worrying I might have gone overboard. I opted for 60% aluminet, but maybe that's too high? I'm in central Texas and we'll undoubtedly have a solid month or two of 100ºF+ days and high humidity soon. Anyone with experience with aluminet in a similar climate have an opinion they'd care to share?

60 is a bit high, might slow growth a bit (but with the temperature reduction increasing ur growth, probably not noticeable)...

most people use 40

Yeah thats my fear. I know 40% is common but the sun here is brutal. I may call back tomorrow and see if I can step down to 50%.

I'm in southern california and have high 100+ temps in summer and I use 40 percent. They do wonderful under it. 60 percent might be a little much but they'll probably do ok

60% should not be a problem. I also get 3 months of summer with heat from hell.
Some of my best peppers grow under 40% shade net with full shade from 1 pm .

Well... that didnt work out great

Attachments

• 2D26B6EB-7A6C-4D66-A355-98EF6219A5EC.jpeg
    2D26B6EB-7A6C-4D66-A355-98EF6219A5EC.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 95
Its not exactly the nice, taught cover I was imagining. Either I made a mistake in measuring or they cut it the wrong size. I probably ballsed it up somehow. Im heading out of town for a while so its going to have to do, but Ill get it right eventually.

exparte said:
Its not exactly the nice, taught cover I was imagining. Either I made a mistake in measuring or they cut it the wrong size. I probably ballsed it up somehow. Im heading out of town for a while so its going to have to do, but Ill get it right eventually.

You won't get them tight unless you use turnbuckles. And with turnbuckles, you need to ensure heavy-duty mounts or you will simply rip lag bolts out from the side of your house.

Leave it flappy like it is now and you might also get the mounts ripped out of the walls come the first really windy day.

Back