• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what are you doing with excess peppers

I have 23 plants this year and it looks like I'm going to have way more than I need.  Just curious what everyone does with their extra peppers every year.  Canning whole?  Sauces?  Freezing? Give away?  Selling?  I've never seen anyone around where I live selling fresh super hots, I wonder if it would be worth it putting a line out there on social media marketplace to sell some to recoup my growing costs.

All of the above. If you have stuff that people want you can offer them for sale in the form of flat rate boxes from the post office.

I dont grow super hots, but the extras of what I do grow I give away or cut up and dehydrate. This year I've been making more powders and am out of my dry pieces. I wish I had more so this year not only am I growing  more, but am going to be generous only after dehydrating more than I'll need. If I have too much powder, I can give that away. Mine is only medium hot, but dang, it's good!

In years past I've also sold some to friends, and done some trading. 

Perhaps you could put an ad in Craig's list?

Freeze, sauce, pickle, powder, dehydrate, flake, jelly, give away (family, friends, co-workers), sell at FM, sell SFRBs and seed save/compost.

Rue Bella said:
I dont grow super hots, but the extras of what I do grow I give away or cut up and dehydrate. This year I've been making more powders and am out of my dry pieces. I wish I had more so this year not only am I growing  more, but am going to be generous only after dehydrating more than I'll need. If I have too much powder, I can give that away. Mine is only medium hot, but dang, it's good!

In years past I've also sold some to friends, and done some trading. 

Perhaps you could put an ad in Craig's list?
I want to try making powders this year, how much heat do you lose when you powder vs a fresh pod?
Harry_Dangler said:
Freeze, sauce, pickle, powder, dehydrate, flake, jelly, give away (family, friends, co-workers), sell at FM, sell SFRBs and seed save/compost.
how much are you getting for your peppers at the FM?

I mostly grow chiles to eat them raw and whole, or cut up and shared with friends. Or, to make my omelets more exciting. Or to dice up and put on sandwiches/ in burger patties. And of course, to put in a tray to offer them to Trick or Treaters on my anniversary. But with something like 170 plants in play this season, I'm bound to have a few extras-unless this cursed rain persists.

How I am planning to use my "excess" pods:
1-sauces/ferments
2-smoked
3-dried
4-powders made from some of the aforementioned smoked& dried pods
5-pickles. Probably only Jalapeños and Serranos, possibly others with thicker walls. I've learned not to bother with thin-skinned varieties.
6-donations/barter with a couple of local restaurants. That's how I get my smoked pods smoked, and also barter gets me plenty of free Modelos and Chimi Changas
7-Jelly. I made it before; it was a good use for truly excessive amounts of Scotch Bonnets. But a few of my friends will not shut the eff up about ditching me to make more, so I'm planning a few jellies this year.
(Really, the above uses aren't truly excess/extra stuff. I grew more than I'll need just for those above purposes.)
Actual excessive/totally unnecessary plans:
8- giving away to friends/relatives/neighbors/enemies (yes, I always plan to do this in a general way, but I seldom plan the exact varieties, quantities, and recipients)
9- playing Russian Roulette with Habaneros & NuMex Trick or Treat during bike rides
10- thinking about offering SFRBs on here and on social media. Not even for profit; just for the cost of the box plus a dollar to cover PayPal fees and having to ride up to the PO. I'll probably only do this if i have WAY too many pods, and I probably won't entertain any picking or choosing
11- thinking about holding a fundraiser for my local Community Garden, and I might try to figure a way to involve chiles
12- dare strangers in pubs to do impromptu pod reviews
13- throw them at pedestrians
14- try to convince my cat to eat some
15- dice one up and put it on a salad

As for number fourteen, a stray cat in my yard ate a piece of pork chop that was cooked in chocolate bhutlah. I expected him to sniff it and walk away.

Ruid said:
As for number fourteen, a stray cat in my yard ate a piece of pork chop that was cooked in chocolate bhutlah. I expected him to sniff it and walk away.
My neighborhood is crawling with rugged, powerful stay cats. I am constantly impressed with their durability, determination, and ingenuity. However, my house cat is always amazing me with his incredibly lazy, useless, and weak-azz antics. His name is Yusuf and due to his overall foppishness, plus his religious beliefs, he would never even think of eating a pork chop laced with SuperHots.

The neighborhood strays, on the other hand, would hold a battle royal, to the death, to determine which of them would get the Lion's share of that fiery piece of pork.

This year im set for a excess or aji panca and more than likely SRP. Most of the aji panca i will just dry and/or powder. Some i will take with me when i try out a new restaurant i found recently. They offer Peruvian cuisine and some others from that region too. Many years ago i used to take extra fish to a Chinese place i loved. They were thrilled to have super fresh fish and cooked me up a feast in return. Gifts like this go a very long way at small family run restaurants.

Some extra i take to farmers markets. Not to sell but for trades and so vendors can taste them. Then if they like them they have seeds to offer plants/pods the following year. Its a win win for me and them.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
This year im set for a excess or aji panca and more than likely SRP. Most of the aji panca i will just dry and/or powder. Some i will take with me when i try out a new restaurant i found recently. They offer Peruvian cuisine and some others from that region too. Many years ago i used to take extra fish to a Chinese place i loved. They were thrilled to have super fresh fish and cooked me up a feast in return. Gifts like this go a very long way at small family run restaurants.

Some extra i take to farmers markets. Not to sell but for trades and so vendors can taste them. Then if they like them they have seeds to offer plants/pods the following year. Its a win win for me and them.
Where were you getting the fresh fish from?

That year i caught a 2 day limit of white bass and a nice 22lb flathead. They came from below Bagnell dam. No way in the world i wanted to fillet and freeze a 2 day limit of nice sized white bass after a 3-4 hour drive home. Two of us had a 2 day limit of 30 fish each. I only ended up keeping a few and the only nice Striper hybrid we caught.

I give some away to anyone who's interested, the rest mostly end up in my freezer to use over-winter. 
Dehydrating for flake and powders prob my next move...freezer's kinda full after last year  :P

Yeah I froze a bunch too. They're not bad at all, but they're nowhere near as good as fresh so I'm just not motivated to use them for cooking, and they're no fun for just snacking.

I find myself mostly turning to powder for chile pepper needs during the off-season...

I take what I don't need to a mexican food store a few miles down the road and give them to the store owner.. It helps them out some and I don't worry about what to do with the extra pods.

Alan

Bicycle808 said:
Yeah I froze a bunch too. They're not bad at all, but they're nowhere near as good as fresh so I'm just not motivated to use them for cooking, and they're no fun for just snacking.

I find myself mostly turning to powder for chile pepper needs during the off-season...
I use the magic bullet thing from the infomercial since I got tired of dicing peppers.

Back