• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Got 3 fermenting away

https://imgur.com/a/9HW8bT3

A month ago I ordered a box of super hots from Florida. I have a garden going but since I am in Pa I have to wait for my peppers but I didnt want to of course. It was a the first time I had peppers delivered through the mail and it was kinda neat.

Anyhow, the link has a picture of the pepper box and the three ferments I started.

First two are pretty standard.

Super hot Peppers (unlabeled so not sure)
Bell pepper
Carrot
Onion
Garlic
One got dehydrated mango

The third one I made up a recipe to make a mole inspired sauce. Mole is a Mexican sauce with peppers, spices, and chocolate.

I smoked 1/2 of the not hot peppers
Super hot peppers
100% cocoa
Cinnamon
Chili powder
Spring onion

They have been fermenting for a month and I am letting them go for another month at least.

Anyone else into fermenting? This is only my second attempt so still learning.

Wow, that third batch sounds really interesting. Would like to hear an update on the flavor once it's ready!

I'm also into fermenting, but I've never gone that long with it, nor have I used anything hotter than a habanero. I find that 2 weeks is good enough for my ferments to get enough funkiness and acidity. Maybe I'm at a higher temp than you, though. Mine are in the 60-70F range usually.

For my birthday, my wife got me a "subscription" to super hot shipments from July thru October IIRC. Can't wait for the first shipment and my first super hot sauce. :)

Thanks stringer. They are still fermenting but I will be sure to update this thread on how the mole sauce turns out. I am sure there will be room for improvement but I am hoping for a good sauce with that one.

Here is the sauce that gave me the idea. Never tried it but this chef is awesome so it is at the top of my list of things to try.

https://chefs-table.homebrewchef.com/product/nor-cal-mole/

The super hot shipments sounds like an amazing gift from the wife. Checked out their website and I would be excited if I were you. Let us know what you end up making.

I am just starting to get actual peppers to form in my garden. This is the first year I started from seed and I am slightly worried I started the super hots too late. I started in January but will start in October next grow season.

Pepper on man.

stringer said:
Wow, that third batch sounds really interesting. Would like to hear an update on the flavor once it's ready!

)
The mole inspired sauce turned out pretty good. The smoky flavor was the most noticeable flavor so I am going to try to balance that a bit better for my second try tomorrow. Going to add some dried fruit and also ferment some raisins in honey to sweeten and thicken. A coworker who loves hot sauce said it was one of his favorites so excited to make it again with some tweaks.

Back