• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Started some new fellas

Started these guys about alittle over a month and a half ago. Not sure of the strain it is. A friend of mine gave me some peppers last summer that I harvesed seeds from. Hoping to get some good results with these. Any tips to get some good results would be much appreciated for this unknown super hot. Have been using a homemade compost and organic soil. Fed them not even a whole teaspoon of blood meal about a week ago and the one has been growing fast and healthy. The other guy growing right next 5o him seems to be alittle slow but my goal is to have them grow together and eventually turn them into bonsai trees

Attachments

• 20190702_163138.jpg
    20190702_163138.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190702_163132.jpg
    20190702_163132.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190702_163032.jpg
    20190702_163032.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190702_163120.jpg
    20190702_163120.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 60
That doesn't look like a superhot to me, at all. The leaves are all wrong. Looks more Annuum/Baccatum to me. I think you got sold a jalapeno or cayenne.

berrypalmer31 said:
It is neither. And it is pretty hot. Gave me a good tear or two. Had alittle more heat than habanero from what I remember.

I didn't really mean to get hung up on specifics.  The point I was trying to make, is that this doesn't look like a superhot plant.

I know. But it is a superhot. The seeds I harvested from did come from a somewhat premature plant. But they are ridiculous. I'm just here to try and take any tips and info I can.

I must say I agree with Solid7, that it does not look like a Chinense, which it would have to be if it were a superhot. Are you sure you didn't mix up the seeds?

And in any case, taking care of peppers is the same, no matter the type in terms of watering, feeding etc, and it's just the climate that needs to be right for the different types of peppers. If you expect a nice and warm summer, just give it plenty of light and it will do well, otherwise if temps aren't as good, for Chinenses, you should consider putting it in a cold frame, hoop house or greenhouse and it will enjoy the added heat.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

berrypalmer31 said:
It is neither. And it is pretty hot. Gave me a good tear or two. Had alittle more heat than habanero from what I remember.
a superhot doesn't have a little more heat than a habanero.... If you get a tear from a habanero, or even close to a tear, hell if a habanero even makes you feel uncomfortable, you're going to be on the ground after eating a superhot.  

From your description and looking at the leaves of the plant, it is definitely not a superhot.  That's not to say its peppers aren't hot, they probably are and will most likely give you delicious pods regardless.

I'm not here for your opinions on whether YOU think it's a super hot or not. I'm the one that has tried it so I would know. I have tried many varieties orange long tail scorpions, brown reapers, 7pots, etc. These have intense heat. Just not as intense to me. I've watched people shed tears from these guys and watched people shed the same amount of tears from these compared to my collection of different crushed peppers. Back to the point I am here to get info on what I can do to help its growth development, these seeds came from premature pods on a premature plant. I fed around the base of the plant alittle bit of blood meal about 7 or 8 days ago and have noticed significant growth improvements but not much. It's was rather rainy out here in ohio a couple weeks ago and I'm abit afraid all the nutrients may have flushed out of the soil.

I'm also a bit interested in settling the superhot or not debate as well before movig on to other things. I mean, let's first agree what we're talking about before we spend time and effort on how to help it grow, no? :drunk:

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
I'm also a bit interested in settling the superhot or not debate as well before movig on to other things. I mean, let's first agree what we're talking about before we spend time and effort on how to help it grow, no? :drunk:

I dunno.  I think the matter is already settled. :)

It definitely is a super hot. I mean hell if it makes you feel any better it's not the hottest strain out there like reapers and all that but it definitely compares to some strains. As I've stated this plant came from a premature seed. That is something you have yet to take into account.

not sure what a "premature" plant is?  A plant is a plant.  The DNA is locked into the seed once it forms, doesn't matter what state of growth the parent plant is in.  If the seed germinates, the state of development of the pod it came from doesn't matter either.  Maybe the pepper you ate was a superhot, but the seed you planted is not a superhot.  It could have gotten crossed with another pepper plant, you can get seeds from a superhot pod that give you something very different once you plant them.

If one argues with a plant identification from people who know their grow, why would one believe that it's not a complete waste of time to give growing advice?  The tone of this thread is confrontation.  Wouldn't I, of all people know? :D

I know all of that. But if it was to of crossed with another pepper it would of probably crossed with one of the other superhots he had in his garden last year. He had morugas. Reapers, and ghosts all right next to each other from what I remember seeing. And I say premature because the look of the seed when I harvested them out of a pod. They weren't full size on how seeds normally are. And had a very off looking look.

Everyone has their opinions. But back to the point here. These ones have been tricky than all others I have actually grown. These are the first 2 of this random variety that's been doing the best I had 20 of them growing at the start but only managed to keep these 2 since they were outgrowing the other 18 as well with them dying on me. Tried growing a few dozen of them indoors in the winter and they only got to like 4 inches in height, flowered then died. My buddy I even got them from has been attempting to grow more too and is having a difficult time as much as he did last year with these. He hasn't even gotten one as big as mine yet and hes had a head start before me this season.

Zero ignorance here. Been nothing but straight forward and firm about things. As I'd really like to just get informed opinions on what I can do to improve growth development. Health, Height, hardening, yields, etc. Do like that quote though.

A) Your potting mix looks wrong for pots.
B) Blood meal is mostly just nitrogen
C) The plant looks like an annuum.

I think that mix will give you problems in pots no matter what you feed it. A friend used Neptunes Harvest (fish and kelp) in pots containing soil and did surprisingly well in an area with less rainfall. I think its way overpriced considering Alaska fish emulsion is less than half the cost.

Back