• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Orange Ghost Pepper?

I bought a Ghost Pepper plant from my local market. Admittedly, it didn't look the healthiest, but it's now coming around after transplanting and fertilizer. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and the peppers looked the same as they do in this pic. It was the only one at the store that had orange peppers, the rest were red, so I figured it was not fully ripe yet. However, after two weeks I figured I'd see some color change. The peppers are also pretty wrinkled, which I thought might be an indicator. Is this possibly an orange ghost plant or am I just being impatient?

Attachments

• 20190710_133136.jpg
    20190710_133136.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 120
I have one that ripens to orange, has smoother, thicker skin, and was in a bunch advertised as Red Bhuts at a box store.  Still just as hot, but doesn't seem to have the growing burn once bitten.  I am suspecting maybe a cross with a habanero of some sort. Who can tell?

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 99
I went ahead and picked these and after building up the courage, I ate one. Wasn't hot at all. Less than a habanero...I'm thinking maybe the shock of being transplanted (not to mention how unhealthy it was when I got it) caused underproduction of the fruit. The plant is looking much better now, so I'll know next time it puts off pods.

Ruid said:
But how was the taste? Did it taste like a weak ghost pepper or a cross?
To be honest, I'm not familiar enough with the "taste" of the peppers as more than just their heat level because I'm only recently venturing into spicy foods. Before recently, the hottest I'd go is a habanero. I will say, the habs have a very distinctive taste to me and it doesn't taste like that. It just tasted very bland (think green pepper) outside of a mild heat (which hits me in the back of the throat like ghosts usually do).

Chorizo857_62J said:
I have one that ripens to orange, has smoother, thicker skin, and was in a bunch advertised as Red Bhuts at a box store.  Still just as hot, but doesn't seem to have the growing burn once bitten.  I am suspecting maybe a cross with a habanero of some sort. Who can tell?

I have decided this is probably some variety of longer, orange habanero, still super hot and more heat than my red habaneros or scotch bonnets.  A mystery.

Back