• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aerogarden Decision To Make ....Help please

One of my two plants have reached the maximum height . I didnt know I would have to top it earlier in its growing period . Now its starting to flower and Im torn on what to do. We still have two months of summer here . I could pull it out and try and transplant into dirt ? I could top it someplace and perhaps try and clone the top ? ( never cloned before) any ideas for me ? Thanks

Attachments

• 346A8E28-16E3-4C87-841E-26B28974ABAB.jpeg
    346A8E28-16E3-4C87-841E-26B28974ABAB.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 74
what i would do is repot it in a 2 or 3 gallon container with good quality potting mix and place it outside in the shade for a week. then gradually move it into the sun for an hour a day and gradually increase the time for another week. in the fall before the first frost bring it back inside and overwinter it. it looks like a nice healthy plant. 

I am not familiar with that particular AG, but is there a button near the base of the lamp shaft that allows you to raise the light?

There are a lot of things to consider. The type of AG, type of pepper. For that size AG, I'd only keep one pepper in there, especially for a chinense, which that looks like. I'd try to keep as much canopy under light as possible. You can make clones from the cuttings if you want. The roots might benefit from a little pruning too. I would completely change the nutes at least every week. For a chinense plant, it'd do better in something like a Bounty (An Ultra/Extra at the minimum) that has more vertical space to work with, bigger light and bigger res. Even with the Bounty, I've had one that totally outgrew the basket, main stem got so wide it started blocking water flow. It did produce some pods though. The pics look very cool, just have to manage it the best you can. It's probably at the point, if not will be soon, where it's too late to pull it out of there. Good luck, and please keep us posted how it does!

midwestchilehead said:
I am not familiar with that particular AG, but is there a button near the base of the lamp shaft that allows you to raise the light?

Yes there is a button, but its at the max .

I had to do an emergency transplant last year from an AG into containers. I followed the: Start in shade, give them plenty of water for the first week, and slowly get them used to sunlight advice, and they both survived and performed very well for me... until the freeze came of course. I dare say they produced better than the plants I had that were outside the whole time. They were a Tabasco and a Cowhorn.

If you want to keep it in the AG then your only option is to either move the lights higher somehow, or top the plant... or buy the bigger AG with the extra lamp height and move the plant into that.

i never had an aerogarden but would like to get one for starting seedlings indoors. i know from reading here that they work really well. i just think plants like peppers or tomatoes outgrow the space offered by the aerogarden. 

Leeboy, what kind of pepper is that one? if you have room for it you can bring it back inside at the end of your growing season and keep it going till next year. there is some great info on this site on how to overwinter it. usually in it`s second year plants put out better production from what i have read. 

They do work really well for seed starting. I started most of my seeds in my AG I keep at work, because they keep the temperature around 70 F all the time. I get much better germination there than in my basement, which stays around 55 F during the winter.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i never had an aerogarden but would like to get one for starting seedlings indoors. i know from reading here that they work really well. i just think plants like peppers or tomatoes outgrow the space offered by the aerogarden. 

Leeboy, what kind of pepper is that one? if you have room for it you can bring it back inside at the end of your growing season and keep it going till next year. there is some great info on this site on how to overwinter it. usually in it`s second year plants put out better production from what i have read. 

luvmesump3pp3rz said:

Its either a brain strain or a Trinidad Scorpion . Kinda forgot ‍♂

Back