• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Cajun catfish and shrimp coubion/courtbouillon

I survived Hurricane Barry and as soon as the yard dries out enough I'll be picking up all the small limbs that blew out of the trees.

Two days stuck inside drove me crazy so I made a video cooking catfish and shrimp coo-bee-yon.

vlcsnap-2019-07-15-22h22m17s327.png

vlcsnap-2019-07-16-08h56m17s899.png

vlcsnap-2019-07-16-08h56m34s588.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEFxK00340&feature=youtu.be

If you can ever get your hands on a tough old river cat it works great for stuff like this. They dont fall apart as easy as them farm raised or small channel cats. Big old catfish got a strong flava but it works well for spicy dishes. You need the bigguns over 15lbs.

Looks delish!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
If you can ever get your hands on a tough old river cat it works great for stuff like this. They dont fall apart as easy as them farm raised or small channel cats. Big old catfish got a strong flava but it works well for spicy dishes. You need the bigguns over 15lbs.

That's what monkfish is for!

I no longer see monkfish for sale but yes its one of the best for stuff like this. The meat is very very firm. Get a 22lb flathead out of a river. That meat is borderline tough :D A bit strong in flavor for just fried too. Sorta depends if you like a strong flavored fish. Grandma would quick soak them in saltwater and lemon juice. Then rinse them off and soak overnight in buttermilk.....Pretty tasty when fried but it sure aint mild.

You have a good video style. Actually watched the whole thing. Baking soda! Ha! And the flat spoon, is that really a Cajun thing? :cheers:

Back