• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Who knows what this is.......

I know what it is and when i spotted it growing in one of my pepper plant containers i decided to let it grow there. i know it competes for water and nutrients with the pepper plants but i have not seen anything bad happen to the peppers. not long after finding it in the first pot it popped up in several other pots and this and the peppers have been co-existing just fine. these containers stay outside all year long and somehow seeds got into my potting soil. do you know what it is?

20190720_134411_resized.jpg

yes it is. it`s supposed to be a superfood. copy and paste from Mother Earth News:

A Nutrient-Rich Weed
Purslane may be a common plant, but it is uncommonly good for you. It tops the list of plants high in vitamin E and an essential omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Purslane provides six times more vitamin E than spinach and seven times more beta carotene than carrots. It’s also rich in vitamin C, magnesium, riboflavin, potassium and phosphorus.

Omega-3s are a class of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids. Your body cannot manufacture essential fatty acids, so you must get them from food. Unfortunately, the typical American diet contains too few omega-3s, a shortage that is linked to a barrage of illnesses including heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.

Nice!
I've killed a ton of it, but never eaten it. Maybe I will grow it in the veggie garden and try it out. Not too keen on trying it from where I normally find it, eg. between the concrete pads in the driveway.

Spork said:
Nice!
I've killed a ton of it, but never eaten it. Maybe I will grow it in the veggie garden and try it out. Not too keen on trying it from where I normally find it, eg. between the concrete pads in the driveway.
yeah the weed grows anywhere and everywhere. i haven`t tasted it yet but i will try a little tomorrow. if i don`t like it i will rip it out. very prolific though. 

nmlarson said:
Also, purslane prefers rich soil and is an indicator of high phosphorus.
i read that it`s water and nutrient requirements were low so i figured it would be ok. both the purslane and the pepper plants are thriving together it seems. is high phosphorus good or bad for peppers? from what i have read this grows all over the world.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i read that it`s water and nutrient requirements were low so i figured it would be ok. both the purslane and the pepper plants are thriving together it seems. is high phosphorus good or bad for peppers? from what i have read this grows all over the world.

Phosphorus is the P in N-P-K.  Good for root development, blossoming and fruiting.  So, yes!, good for peppers.  But, not exclusively.  They still need the nitrogen and potash for other growth and health factors.  And, some believe too much phosphorus is bad for the environment.

nmlarson said:

Phosphorus is the P in N-P-K.  Good for root development, blossoming and fruiting.  So, yes!, good for peppers.  But, not exclusively.  They still need the nitrogen and potash for other growth and health factors.  And, some believe too much phosphorus is bad for the environment.

Too much *introduced* phosphorus is bad for the environment.  Naturally occurring phosphorus rarely poses a problem - especially if left undisturbed.  In any case, you need the right combination of temperature and pH for any phosphorus to be used.  So the presence of phosphorus is much less likely to be indicated by purslane, as the combination of pH and phosphorus, in whatever quantities is apparently likes.   You find tons of it in areas that are rich in fossil beds. 
Adding extra of it isn't going to produce "more better-er" plants.  You only need so much, after all.  As you stated, all elements must be in balance for optimal growth.
Purslane is great for food, and instead of killing it, consider sending it to your compost heap.  

I decided to let it grow as a living mulch in my vegetable garden one year. Now anywhere water hits it grows. At least it is real easy to pull out of where I don't want it.

Back