• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone ever tried

Pickling Sugar Rush Peach before its ripe. I got a buttload of these things and not enough hot wax. ATM the color is not too far off a hot wax. Ive become addicted to pickled banana ring type peppers on burgers and some sammies. Texture seems about right if they stay fairly crunchy in a cold pack.

Because i got 4 plants like this (plus a smaller one). I will have a massive surplus later and both my hot wax are tiny.
oNh84UK.jpg

Ok i unloaded all the pods of my small SRP in a hard pot. It is covered in new blooms so..................

I got around a dozen SRP
2 Peach colored Aji Arnaucho
6 nice Hot Wax
3 ripe Bolsa de Dulce for a splash of color.
Around 3/4 of a quart jar total. All sliced into rings with most of the seeds removed.

Dumped them out of the jar
Sweat them in 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp sea salt for an hour

1 flowering head of fresh dill since i like dill for sammie/burger pickles

Very quick rinse and back in the jar with the dill head plus a tbs of minced garlic

Brine is
60/40 Marukan rice vinegar (4.3%) and water.
2 Tsp sea salt
Poured into the jar very warm but not hot.
Seal with lid and band
Then into the fridge for a week.

Just a FYI in case you have not tasted a greenish SRP.....Its interesting and i think it will work for this. Especially with the Hot Wax peppers added.

Sounds good.  Be sure to let us know how it turns out.  

On a side note, I have SRP and Aji Mango that are in between green and ripe and just don't seem to want to ripen up.  I tried one of the Aji Mango's in it's current state and it had an interesting flavor also.  Not bad.  I may go try one of the SRP's.  (Impatient)

Weeping process reduced pepper size. They all fit in a pint jar.
No rinse, just poured off the liquid
Went with 3/2 ratio....3/4 cup rice vinegar and 1/2 cup water
Reduced garlic to 1 heaping tsp
Added 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar and pinch of celery seed to the brine.
Added 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid to the peppers before adding the semi hot brine.
Total sodium at this point is less than 2 tsp for the jar since the liquid from the weeping is tossed.

I'm anxious to hear how these turn out.  I've got 2 sugar rush peach (thanks Walchit)  that are loaded with pods and wondering what to do with them.  I've never grown them before, how do you tell when they're fully ripe?

Mine are not ripe either. That is the entire point of the test batch. I got tons of greeners and they dont taste bad green. They look just like banana pepper/hot wax rings before they are ripe. I will sample them next Wednesday.

Im pretty certain they will be killer ripe pickled. The flavor from the few ripe ones i sampled was great.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
They are definitely peach colored when ripe :D I got a few already and used them as a filler in a JPGS sauce.

I would call it a kind of mixture between peach color and flesh tone lol when they get that hint of orange in them for a few days is when I harvest.  Definitely one of the harder peppers to gauge ripeness, it's very subtle.

i never grew SRP(yet) but i pickle a lot of other peppers. last year i did the hot wax among others. i see you did the weep thing the same as the cukes you did the other day and i`m wondering about that. when i first started out pickling jalapeno rings i would have the rings in the jar(not weeped) and then pour the boiling vinegar/water/suger/salt mix in to cover. i found that the hot mix softened the pepper rings too much. i now let the mix return to room temp before adding to the jar and the rings stay more crunchy and retain better color this way.  just wondering why you are weeping them? 

that makes sense. i just never did it because i figured the more you process them the less crisp and crunchy they would be. i will try weeping a jar full to see how they turn out.  :cheers:

Back