• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Taco Hell sauce

Its rumored that Taco Bell Diablo sauce has aji panca in it so that gives me an idea. Im still waiting on Reapers, Scorpions and such to ripen but i got a bag of panca powder. Plus a few dried pods of my own sooooo...

A couple ripe jala ...waiting on them too actually
Some aji panca
One of the supers but im leaning toward Scorpion or Reaper....just a little bit of supers
onion
garlic
Maybe a little tomato and sweet red bell (tekne dolmasi)
cumin and coriander
Salt and sugar
Probably use cider vinegar

Probably do a chocolate/brown version of this later also with Naglah Brown.

Rumor is, its aji panca, chipotle and chile peppers....No exact mention of the "chile pepper" they used. Their Fire Sauce states ripe jalapeno on the label but nothing on the Diablo bottle. So i will toss the tekne dolmasi and onion in the smoker for a few hours for the "chipotle". I dont taste that flavor too much in the actual Diablo sauce.

I got the aji panca and tekne dolmasi covered
Ripe jalas and Cherokee purple i should have next Saturday...no one had any at the farmers market yesterday but a guy is bringing me some for pods i gave him.
I got Scorpions, Dragons Breath and Reapers almost ripe.

Just need to choose the right amount of super hot with the least amount of "that flavor". I dont want this tasting like a Scorpion sauce but i want a dash of that kind of heat added. Nothing major though around double the heat of the original. I can only guess a pod or two will be enough added to around a quart of sauce?

If you use Frank's as a base you can do a pretty close TB sauce. Cumin, more garlic powder, a tad of sugar. Some Mexican peppers. Boom. 

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Just need to choose the right amount of super hot with the least amount of "that flavor". I dont want this tasting like a Scorpion sauce but i want a dash of that kind of heat added. Nothing major though around double the heat of the original. I can only guess a pod or two will be enough added to around a quart of sauce?

I'd recommend dried pods or flake.  Drying seems to help curb some of the intensely floral "chinense" flavor - without pulling any of the heat.  Plus you'll be able to accurately measure how much you put in just in case it's so fkn fabulous you want to recreate it.

Also recommend you hunt down some piloncillo sugar. Comes in small dark caramel colored cones if you're not familiar.   

SmokenFire said:

I'd recommend dried pods or flake.  Drying seems to help curb some of the intensely floral "chinense" flavor - without pulling any of the heat.  Plus you'll be able to accurately measure how much you put in just in case it's so fkn fabulous you want to recreate it.

Also recommend you hunt down some piloncillo sugar. Comes in small dark caramel colored cones if you're not familiar.   

I do have some dried ghost from last year and you are right. That "chinense flavor" is greatly reduced when dried. I didnt find it to be all that bad from fresh bhuts compared to many others anyway.

EDIT:
Had to go to the market for fish balls cause im to lazy to make them. Got the piloncillo sugar too.

Edmick said:
Taco bell's diablo sauce is probably the only packet hot sauce I've like. I like it a lot actually

Yeah, i kinda like it too. They even sell bottles of it at Walmart. Really like it on tacos because it not so hot you cant use a fair amount but it isnt totally wimpy either. I use aji panca for a couple of "fusions" and im quite addicted to the flavor. Then it dawned on me i never tried it for a hot sauce.

My guy at the farmers market didnt bring any ripe jalas and i dont think i got any close either :(

He did bring me a small Cherokee purple mater and a couple chilhuacles negros. I guess i could just use the tekne dolmasi  for it but the flavor of ripe jalas is hard to replace imo. Soooooo..........i can either wait for mine or his......take a chance driving down to lil Mexico but those markets never had ripe ones before..........or leave out the ripe jalapeno?

The Hot Pepper said:
If you use Frank's as a base you can do a pretty close TB sauce. Cumin, more garlic powder, a tad of sugar. Some Mexican peppers. Boom. 

12oz bottle of Crystals was whopping $1.44
Half a Scorpion or one pod just simmered in then removed
Couple heaping tbs of panca powder
Dash of garlic powder
And around 8-10oz of 50/50 ACV/Water should be enough but still have some bite left.

I just realized that bottle has the dripper built in.....Whole lotta shakin going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dC0DseCyYE

I got 1 ripe jala for the original post topic. Figure i need 3. Its the only thing im waiting on now. Ive hardly picked any jalapenos just in case.

On a side note my aji panca pods are massive now. At least twice the size as last year. They are just taking forever to pod up good like last year. 5 of the plants this year are much larger and i got 9 of them suckers. :D

Back