• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot Sauce Small Jalapenos Advice?

Hey everyone! I am making some hot sauce soon and need an opinion. My jalapenos (about 20-25 of them) are small in size (about 1"-2.5") but pack a punch. With a hot sauce should I use the same amount of peppers number wise or should i add more peppers since it is physically smaller?

Thanks for any help!

I find measuring them(and everything else) by weight makes things a whole lot easier.
But, if you're going by a recipe that calls for volume, or a certain number of peppers, you should scale up...just try to estimate the right amount.
Ultimately taste is going to be the deciding factor, especially since jalapenos can vary a good bit in heat level.

Hello Grapeful_Peppers & welcome to THP.  When making sauce I weigh ingredients (by ounces or grams) rather than counting by pepper because there are so many variables regarding thin or thick walled peppers, varying sizes of peppers from the same plants, etc.

So if you have a recipe that calls for say, something like 2 cups of peppers (with some note about 2 cups is usually 16 peppers) you can use more of your smaller jalas to equal that 2 cups in the recipe OR you can use whatever amount of your smaller heat punch packing jalas and then cut those with some sweeter bell peppers (of any color) or whatever.  Totally depends on what kind of flavor profile and heat level you're aiming for.   

For a general base type recipe I am usually looking at 1 pound of peppers, 1 cup of vinegar, a couple cloves of garlic and perhaps a bit of onion, along with maybe a cup of water.  Add it all to a sauce pan and bring to a nice simmer for 5-10 minutes and then hit it with the immersion blender.  Once it cools a bit I'll taste and add salt or honey or whatever to bring everything into balance. 

Be sure to check out the hot sauce 101 and the fermenting 101 threads - LOTS of great info there.  Above all welcome to our spicy corner of the interwebs.  :)

Back