• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Venison Sticks w/Tabasco Powder

Picked up the Deer from the processor Tuesday
(long story how we got it :lol:) but I decided to
make sticks for me and the g/f. I have made them before
using my jerky gun and jerky cure and seasonings but
I decided that I wanted to use some of my 1st season
of growing powders so I went with Tabasco (and a lil
scotch bonnet and fatalli) and made a batch! came out good
tomorrow will be the test when g/f tries some.oh and i
made some with jalapeno powder too
heres a couple of pics
yum.jpg

yum1.jpg

Okay nothing like venison jerky. I just love those jerky guns it makes it so mucheasier and i try to make the big long ones with the whole tube. The kids love it when they pick it up and saying is this all one. lol So its been a couple of days whats the taste like?

Dude that sounds AWESOME!! Could have had a deer already this year, but some already know the story. You're making me EXTRA hungry!!:mouthonfire:.......I LOOOOOOVE vension AND peppers!! Not fair I'm drooling:lol:. However, with the way things are looking I'm looking at becoming an oil-pipeline welder in Alaska. I may be moving in a couple years and Moose, and Caribou may be my venison.:lol:

P.S.- If it was a road kill deer I could have picked up a nice fresh doe near my work, but the coyotes already ate the butt out of it. I know there's alot of yotes around here if they found it in a few hours...lol!!

Moose and Caribou are not for eating! I love them, they are the most beautiful creatures ever. Poor things, I'll give them a home in my cold, rainy, back garden. That goes for Reindeer too, especially of the red-nosed variety.

rainbowberry said:
Moose and Caribou are not for eating! I love them, they are the most beautiful creatures ever. Poor things, I'll give them a home in my cold, rainy, back garden. That goes for Reindeer too, especially of the red-nosed variety.

Nah, I had a friend in the army that was stationed in Alaska that hunted and ate both. He said Caribou is DELICIOUS!!! Caribou is genetically basically the same thing as Reindeer too....Yeah they are pretty, but we have different viewpoints;):mouthonfire:
I honestly do respect you're views though. People are different and that's ok. I wouldn't make you eat it. Me though.......If it's crawling I'll probably eat it:lol:

......Well....then it's just beef with a slightly different flavor;).lol!! Spiced up though. You'd probably love it like everyone else on here..lol!

HPFF - the jerky looks good, I got mine back from the butcher but still need to make my own HOT style once that runs out.

rainbowberry said:
Just tell me it's beef and I'd eat it.

oh I could say something but wont :mouthonfire:
most venison tastes just like beef, if they're from a area where theres crop fields.had elk once & it taste good.
wild game animals are better for you than your normal livestock animals.

rabbit - I think in alaska road kill is state property & you cant take it, you must call the police to have someone dispatched to pick the animal up & then have the meat sent to food shelves.

chilehunter said:
HPFF - the jerky looks good, I got mine back from the butcher but still need to make my own HOT style once that runs out.

oh I could say something but wont :lol:
most venison tastes just like beef, if they're from a area where theres crop fields.had elk once & it taste good.
wild game animals are better for you than your normal livestock animals.

rabbit - I think in alaska road kill is state property & you cant take it, you must call the police to have someone dispatched to pick the animal up & then have the meat sent to food shelves.

Well, my friend that may be true in Alaska, but in Michigan if you call it in to the police and get a kill tag you're A OK;):lol:(Done it before..lol!)......Also, yes wild game is WAAAY better for you and the other thing. Dat was FUNNY...LOL!!

rabbit - its the same here, just call the police & they come to you or you just go pick up a roadkill tag. thats why I said "in alaska" & its just hearsay I dont know foresure.

chilehunter said:
rabbit - its the same here, just call the police & they come to you or you just go pick up a roadkill tag. thats why I said "in alaska" & its just hearsay I dont know foresure.

Yeah, sounds like the same deal where you live. However, if I was hunting in Alaska I'm sure I wouldn't have to worry about roadkills to much. The big game hunting up there is PHENOMINAL!:)

G/f came over today and couldnt stop eating them so
they are good!!:)I had a few and man they WERE good.
It wasnt roadkill(did that a few yrs back :))
I used about 1 teaspoon of tabasco (give or take)
and about 2 jalapenos.Heat is nice but not overpowering!
They wont last long!!:)

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
I found out yesterday that g/f and I will be getting
some elk and wild boar meat so....MORE STICKS!!:):lol:
downside is...its me who has to make em all!!:lol:

oh man, my two favorite game animals.
Venison is great, moose is yummy, but wow elk and wild boar meat is to die for.
Can't wait to hear how they turn out.

rainbowberry said:

You think these.. hmm... creatures are beautiful?

Friday and Saturday starts the Elk/Wild Boar making.
I decided to use the 4 lbs of Elk/boar meat to make
Summer Sausage. 2 kinds regular and Peppered.I will
post some pics of them plus recipes if anyone wants them.You can use plain lean beef or venison.I will also be making
another 2 lbs of sticks with venison but will try a different
recipe on those. Man I will be busy :lol::lol::)

Back