• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed saving and pod type question

Hi All, 

I have some sugar rush that are getting ready to start ripening. I'm looking to save some seeds for next season. I have all kinds of shapes and sizes, some long and wrinkled some, some long and smooth then a few bell shaped. Does it matter which pod type and would that dictate a future pod type or is it just totally a random thing ? 

Thanks

Each pod does have it's own genetics to a certain extent. Obviously you want to save seeds from 1) the plants which exhibit the best traits, and 2) the pods which exhibit the best traits. I dry them on a paper towel for a week then fold the paper towel and put it into a small ziploc bag and into the freezer until next spring.

Only in case of cross-pollination will the seeds of different pods give you different plants.
The variable pod shapes on one plant does not change the genetics of the seeds.

Knowing that, I still save seeds from the best pods. [emoji848][emoji23]

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Info noted and thanks. I'll select the best and keep them separated and labeled and see how they do next season. Not sure why I keep getting pods with some black seeds in then, should I be looking for only healthy pods/seeds or can I just pull the good ones out?

karoo said:
Only in case of cross-pollination will the seeds of different pods give you different plants.
The variable pod shapes on one plant does not change the genetics of the seeds.

Knowing that, I still save seeds from the best pods. [emoji848][emoji23]

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Well yes, true, but most people are not even able to prevent cross-pollination :-)

the individual pod makes NO difference at all, don't worry about that.  What you need to concentrate on is harvesting seeds from the plant that has the overall best pod quality and quantity.  Keep in mind, if there are other types of peppers nearby, there's a very good chance you could get some cross pollination.  You'll need to isolate the plant you want to harvest seeds from to make sure this doesn't happen, or at least isolate the flower before it opens.

Black seeds happen all the time, just throw them out and keep the light colored ones, it's ok if they're in the same pod.

podz said:

Well yes, true, but most people are not even able to prevent cross-pollination :-)
The impression I get from this place is that crosses mostly happen when people hope they don't. If they're hopeful for it, it seems like it won't happen.

Back