• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fertilizing Question On Different Size Pots/Beds

Hi, Im curious on the different amount or how often peppers should be fertilized if there in different size pots and beds. We have about 50 in one gallon pots on drippers , we have 20 in 2 and 3 gallon pots , we have 4-5 garden beds etc . Since the small 1 gallon pots are smaller and less dirt , would they require more or more often cause they get washed out quicker ? Any formula to this ?

This season I'm going to put a pepper plant in a bucket of random dirt and do absolutely nothing to take care of it other than add water - just to demonstrate this to the over thinkers 

Powelly said:
This season I'm going to put a pepper plant in a bucket of random dirt and do absolutely nothing to take care of it other than add water - just to demonstrate this to the over thinkers 

While you're at it, maybe you could do it on a few different continents, in a few different climates, in a few different biomes?
I'm definitely all for this, but we can only simplify things down so far.  Unfortunately, buckets of dirt isn't quite it, I'm afraid.  But, nevertheless... 

I made a hotbed with stackable/unstackable sides earlier in the year, its 800mm wide, 1200mm long and about 550mm high. I filled it about 3/4 with fresh horse shit, straw and some comfrey leaves. I turned the pile a few times over about 6 weeks (I was going to use heat from the pile to help some plants get a early start to the season but I didn't get around to that) after about 6 weeks I put about 250mm of soil ontop. I planted chillis and a few tomatoes into the soil, just a few plants I had left over after potting everything else up. I then added a layer of bark compost to the top. I have only watered it, never needed to feed. Everything went crazy in there, the plants are all big, healthy and producing an abundance of fruit, I will go out and take a photo later. Next year I'm planning on making lots of hotbeds the same and giving up on growing in pots. The only mistake I made this year was over crowding it but I just underestimated how well everything was going to grow in there.

The soil has sunk down a fair bit, I was going to take the top collar off but I dont want to damage the plants and it actually helps protect them from wind damage (we have alot of wind here)

Attachments

• 20190818_195122.jpg
    20190818_195122.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 55
solid7 said:

While you're at it, maybe you could do it on a few different continents, in a few different climates, in a few different biomes?
I'm definitely all for this, but we can only simplify things down so far.  Unfortunately, buckets of dirt isn't quite it, I'm afraid.  But, nevertheless... 

Feel free to do your own bucket of dirt experiment
I probably won't use "dirt" though, I'll just scoop up whatever is below the wood chips the local council puts on the side of the road. Using "dirt" without any organic material would be well, dumb :) 

Back