• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color Bell Peppers for Color

So I wanted to try my first ferment sometime this week, and make a very mild red hot sauce with some of my jalapenos. Due to the terrible weather we had at the start of the summer in the upper midwest, I don't have very many jalapenos to use, and the ones that I do have are currently all still green. Would red bell peppers be good to use to add some color, or should I wait it out to get more red jalapenos?

EDIT: Still a little groggy from the morning, and just realized that obviously I should wait for my jalapenos to ripen to be able to keep that same color pallet *facepalm* but my question remains somewhat the same. Are bell peppers good to use in a ferment? Never done this before so I'm not sure how they would be flavor-wise. I plan on trying to make a decent amount of hot sauce to give to some friends and if I can keep a good ratio using some red bells as a filler, I will gladly do so. 

Bell will work great for color. They aren't my favorite for sauce because they do add a distinct (to me) bell pepper flavor but everyone's preference is different. I've seen many people use them for color/to dilute the heat from hotter peppers in their sauces and report great results so its definitely worth trying to see how you like it. Kang star on YouTube has videos doing just that for eg, although in fresh sauce.

Grocery stores around here all cary red fresno peppers, whose flavors I prefer over bells for saucing. They have similar heat to jalapeno and may be another option for adding some bulk/color.

Gnar Tzar said:
Bell will work great for color. They aren't my favorite for sauce because they do add a distinct (to me) bell pepper flavor but everyone's preference is different. I've seen many people use them for color/to dilute the heat from hotter peppers in their sauces and report great results so its definitely worth trying to see how you like it. Kang star on YouTube has videos doing just that for eg.

Grocery stores around here all cary red fresno peppers, whose flavors I prefer over bells for saucing. They have similar heat to jalapeno and may be another option for adding some bulk/color.
Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be a bell pepper flavor. I do have some red chiles and some cayennes too but same thing as the jalapenos-not very many. I considered adding them in too. I might go the same route you did, a local flea market has some farmers that sell red peppers there so I might go and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip!

The Hot Pepper said:
Bells are annums so you can use them interchangeably. The only difference is the heat.
I'm just mainly worried about the taste really. I've got some reapers, ghosts, habs, and scotch bonnets, I just don't know how well the taste of the bells would incorporate with the other peppers I choose to use. But I'm sure as long as I use a good ratio and add enough onion and/or garlic it won't be bad at all

Right. That's why I said they are annums. Jalapenos and poblanos are annums, as well as bells. They usually all start green and ripen to red with orangeish in between. The flavor changes with the stages so use accordingly. 

moruga welder said:
Try growing the Aji Dolma Dolce Bells , They get big red , sweet with a jalapeño heat . The grassiness of the bell was bred out . Created at the University of Turkey .
 They are great for cooking in Fajitas , chili , stuffing , etc. just delicious !      :party:

Antep Aci Dolma, good seeds are not very common and Fords has been out for ages.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Antep Aci Dolma, good seeds are not very common and Fords has been out for ages.

I got good seeds, got 2 phenos , a big squat pheno and a  elongated pheno ,
post-9529-0-07573400-1503942082_thumb.jpg

Back