• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Found some organic fertilizer for $1 a bag . Thoughts?

Local farm store is blowing out these 20lb bags of fertilizer . Its basically cow manure cooked and dehydrated at high heat . Anyone use it or similar?

Attachments

• 0370B071-1620-4B53-A37E-776D0CF038D4.png
    0370B071-1620-4B53-A37E-776D0CF038D4.png
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 61
Will it work?  Sure.  Are you OK with laying down commercial feedlot products in your food crops?  That's kind of where I draw the line.  No biosolids of any kind in my food garden, unless I raised the animal myself.

solid7 said:
Will it work?  Sure.  Are you OK with laying down commercial feedlot products in your food crops?  That's kind of where I draw the line.  No biosolids of any kind in my food garden, unless I raised the animal myself.

But but,,, it says organic on the bag,,, but with no official org seal. Something that I see all the time in the agriculture product sales literature...
 Hey, it says no E Coli added,,, well thats a plus..lol

My take, when its heated up to +200° for long enough it does kill off pathogens. Problem is when those pathogens were alive and thriving many produce toxins. These toxins are not removed by heating. 

Attachments

• organic.jpg
    organic.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 52
acs1 said:

But but,,, it says organic on the bag,,, but with no official org seal. Something that I see all the time in the agriculture product sales literature...
 Hey, it says no E Coli added,,, well thats a plus..lol

My take, when its heated up to +200° for long enough it does kill off pathogens. Problem is when those pathogens were alive and thriving many produce toxins. These toxins are not removed by heating. 

For me, it's not about pathogens.  It's about any hormones, antibiotics, drugs, etc...  You can't cook that off.

Voodoo 6 said:
A buck a bag cant go wrong...

Well that's horrible advice, you can go seriously wrong with the wrong fertilizer!

solid7 said:

For me, it's not about pathogens.  It's about any hormones, antibiotics, drugs, etc...  You can't cook that off.

I do read the description on the bag about the product being free from all of the stuff I mentioned.  But who's certified it?  How can it be verified?  And how can you produce cooked shit for $1 a bag?  That's almost what the bag itself would cost!
I don't trust it.  But I'm a skeptic.  For me, if I was gonna use shit, I'd raise the shit makers myself.  Which is exactly what I did with my rabbits...

Back