• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sauces with green jalapeños - options?

This is going to seem like an odd and stupid question. On multiple fronts. But... 

Availability of green (or red) jalapeño peppers is limited at this end. To the extent that today was the first time I've seen them available in the supermarket. In six years. And I have no experience with them.
(OK - I realise I could likely be able to buy them through a wholesaler, but I'm not looking to make that much sauce. Or that much of anything.)

So given this, and before I buy the whole box, what would be a favourite sauce or two some of you might consider and recommended? Can be cooked or fermented, doesn't make a difference.

And presuming I buy the whole box  ;) , if I freeze them all will they still work also for something else? Pickled jalapenõs? 

Avocado jalapeno sauce.
Avo jap crema.
Green Jalapeno ranch.
Freeze for ferment.
Freeze for sauce.
Dehydrate and grind for powder.
Roasted jalapeno guac.
Cilantro lime jap marinade.
Jalapeno onion cornbread.

Wow, and here I though Helsinki was backwoods. You live in what is arguably the top culinary region on this planet and you can't even buy a damned jalapeno? :-)

I'd just blend it and freeze it into little ice cubes then use when desired.

Here's a relatively easy staple I make for eggs, poultry, and most lighter meals. It makes roughly a gallon, and admittedly I'm guilty of eyeballing.

Approx. 2 lbs of fresh green jalapenos (de-veined and roasted; kept all the seeds in the sauce)
1 - 2 cups of white vinegar
4 Tbsp Black Pepper (Ground)
6 large Garlic Cloves (finely minced) (Caramelized w/ Shallots)
2 large shallots (finely minced) (Caramelized w/ Garlic)
1 - 2 Tbsp White Sugar
2 Cups water
Salt to taste

Roast and de-vein the jalapenos, keep the seeds for use in the sauce.
Caramelize the garlic and shallots with a splash of olive oil.
Add all the ingredients except the vinegar to a pot and using an immersion blender or food processor to puree as smooth as possible then bring it to a light boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 2 hours.
Add the vinegar to the sauce to taste and bottle immediately afterwards.

Voila, a relatively low-labor hot sauce that's very tasty and easy to make.

I am currently fermenting a Jalapeno sauce right now. i think i kept this one simple with just a sweet onion and some garlic. i'm at work right now and don't have my recipe on me but if you are interested ill tell you how it turns out. i was originally only going to ferment it for 4 days but i think since i'm making other things right now i may take my time on it and see what happens. it smells very "chlorophylly" no other way to describe it, i may have messed something up in the recipe or its just gonna be how its gonna be. I did find a really good pineapple recipe from the hot ones i can share. 
2 cups grilled pineapple
1 cup chopped jalapeno 
6-7 garlic cloves
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black peppers
2 cups white vinegar (i used wine vinegar)
2 tbsp olive oil(in my opinion this one is optional)
1 cup sweet onion
its best when served right after but can last well for like a week 

Back