• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Jerky???

So I leveled up on my dehydrator and ordered one of those jerky guns (I normally slice a roast).
So now I'm going to try the ground meat jerky. Is it better to use a fresh pepper mash or a powder mixed ?

Anybody care to share a good recipe? I could search, but while I'm making this post......
1877560b3e3deb02248b050f9977270e.jpg

Either or. The mash may take a little longer to dehydrate and will be a little chunkier, but really it will come down to your individual preference.
There are a million recipes out there on the interwebs, but I'll throw out a little trick as a supplement. Using my standard soy/teriyaki marinade, I'll throw in a fair amount of fermented pepper brine. Adds a nice kick, and thins out my soy a bit (I use some fairly thick soys- no Kikkoman or la Choy for me).

My butcher just finished a first-batch jerky cured with a Rocoto/chokecherry sauce that I made for him. It is amazing sweet-to-beef-to-heat ambrosia. I'm not sure of the savory additives other than salt, but I bet he'd tell me if I ask....

Then again, Rajun Gardener is in your neck of the woods, he can likely fix you right up!

Back