• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Donnie 2019 - mostly own crosses

So, finally something to share... :party:

First up is my attempt to improve on Chichuacle Amarillo, which is nearly impossible to grow here in Denmark in my climate - so it's been crossed with one of my crosses which involved Thunder Mountain Longhorn, Pequin de Ischia and Naga Morich. I now have a variety that matures around 5 weeks earlier than the original Chilhuacle Amarillo. It seems more cold hardy not so prone to disease during prolonged wet weather - and I think flavor is great too. Presenting the "Normanillo" F5
25hGXqp.jpg

wCVRqry.jpg

Next is a cross between Hot Palette and Black Pearl named "Normann's Fiesta" it is in the F5 generation. It ripens from purple to red through some kind of brownish colors.
alsukqQ.jpg

dS1zrSM.jpg

This one is a sibling which showed up in the F2-generation, now also F5.
bpPsmvQ.jpg

HRJwjYL.jpg

Last one for today is an attempt to make an early Mazzetti-type (cluster-type) with chinense/Naga-aromas. Several varieties are involved (Sarit Gat, Black Pearl, Thunder Mountain Longhorn, Pequin da Ischia, Naga Morich, Pimenta Morango, Aribibi Gusano) But this is now the "F4"-generation since the last crossing. I have several types to choose from - here are two of the best, more to come...
b5wQlwy.jpg

VMwruD3.jpg

7LSQICc.jpg

2KIuSXK.jpg

PrRjvYc.jpg

Very interesting work, Johnny! It takes some dedication
to bring crosses to an F5 and later generations. Will be
interesting to see what develops in the next couple of
seasons. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind comments in general. ;)  
saiias said:
Cool looking crosses. Last one (cluster ) is pretty interesting. How does those taste.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks saiias - taste is resembling Naga Morich a bit, not so aromatic but maybe sweeter at the same time. Heat is around 10 or maybe 10+. I have selected for that aroma in many of my initial crosses during the years, since it is difficult to grow chinense-varieties here in my cold climate.

PaulG said:
Very interesting work, Johnny! It takes some dedication
to bring crosses to an F5 and later generations. Will be
interesting to see what develops in the next couple of
seasons. Keep us posted.
Thanks a lot, you'd understand I take it with your own Da Neyde x Bonda M.J. cross. I have crosses at F8 or even F9, will post them soonish...

A small update - later varieties are starting to ripen (those with most chinese genetics and flavors)
First is my favourite: "Piribibi Purple Umbrella" F7 which was initially a cross between Aribibi Gusano and Pimenta Morango. It seems stabile, the last 3-4 years I have grown out 5-10 plants each year which were all pretty much identical...
8NIWvty.jpg

Xuil8AH.jpg

GqB9BVG.jpg

7qBrGro.jpg

5nmZSxJ.jpg

The ripe colour (peach-orange) does never come fully through on the side exposed to sun, but the backside shows ripening.

Compared to 4 selections of my other umbrella type, the HypaMazzetti. Flavor is way more aromatic in the Piribibi Purple Umbrella, but the others are much earlier to flower and ripen and do have a little to some "Naga-ish" aromas to them. They are all very hot...
zqqjsNH.jpg

Um0CiXs.jpg

On of my first crosses - Naga Morich x Pequin de Ischia - it is called Nagaquin and is F9. It is very early and has some Naga-aroma and dires out easily on the plant. A great improvement for my climate, where growing the chinense species is impossible out in the open and may still be challenging in a cold greenhouse because of the short growing season...

RZITOTG.jpg

oKQfu0r.jpg

And another nice drying/paprika pepper - it is a cluster type deriving from an Italian cluster type "Manu" crossed with Chilhuacle Negro. This is F3.
962Murx.jpg

UJ1aSGk.jpg

Last one is an attempt to make a more aromatic version of Thunder Mountain Longhorn. It was crossed with my Nagaquin (Naga Morich x Pequin da Ischia). It is quite aromatic and very hot... I also have a straight version with wrinkled skin...
Rxj5LJl.jpg

UbEm0gV.jpg

Wow, excellent job Donnie. Thumbs up for years of dedication!
Normanillo and Nagaquin especially picked my attention.
Any particular reason (beside look) to use "black" genes? I've always found them a little sub-par flavor-wise.

Back