• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

tutorial Fine powder method (Picture heavy)

Seen a lot of people asking about powder make methods. Figured I would post a method is use to make "Fine" paprika like grind. The skinning part will only really work for meatier peppers.

First off the peppers I'm working with. These are Sweet Hungarian. In this case I am literally making paprika.

There is a bit of extra processing before you dry the peppers for powder.

nUP6Aa6.jpg

To make a strong tasting powder you want to remove the seeds, and if you can also remove the skin. This is because the they have very little flavor, and have a lot o fiber. The fiber "bulks" the powder out making it less intense.

To do this I remove the seeds, and steam the peppers. In this case these are sweet peppers. So I did not put in the effort to save the pith. If you were doing this with hot peppers I would save de-seed, but also save the pith since that's where the heat is.

l05sBG5.jpg

deHMkbp.jpg

This is pretty big pot so it fit the full 5 gallon pail of peppers in one go.

1rHwB7A.jpg

They are a lot more compact once they have been steamed.

A close up of the peppers.

HMwtoMD.jpg

You can just peel the skin off now.

7xXANAQ.jpg

But it's much easier to just scrape the meat off the skin. Just lay it skin side down scrape it off with a flat edge. I used a pastry knife.

FGCribP.jpg

vuYHzg6.jpg

And now I blended the meat as if I were making a sauce. This included sending the blend through a mesh to produce a fine consistent texture.

1ot2JV6.jpg

Here is how you dry the "Sauce". You just put on paper in the dehydrator. You will want to use baking paper. NOT wax paper.

UR2YWd5.jpg

aiBnPcD.jpg

Once dry it will look like a large "cracker" like sheet.

XjofSMe.jpg

It should pull easily away from the paper.

WnqiIMF.jpg

Now just break it up, and grind.

ghyuGto.jpg

77u2dCT.jpg

This will grind very fine now. But chunks of it will remain somewhat large. The best way to handle the issue is simply to sift the powder through a mesh. And then re-grind the larger pieces.

Fd6e1L5.jpg

E7JFmxb.jpg

The power in this case is flour like, very fine and has a very strong flavor.

0k58pax.jpg

You can see just how fine the powder by looking at the mesh.

eJjmVZl.jpg

The entire 5 gallon bucket made enough powder to fill roughly a 12 once mason jar.

SxBrmSs.jpg

Be warned though powder of this texture will have a tendency to clump together and stick to everything. If you want to "free flowing" you will need to add some sort of free-flow agent. In most commercial spices it's a type of silica.

this is different than other methods i have used. i believe your method will give a finer powder than simply dehydrating and then grinding whole pods. thanks for posting this.  :cheers:

Be warned though powder of this texture will have a tendency to clump together and stick to everything. If you want to "free flowing" you will need to add some sort of free-flow agent. In most commercial spices it's a type of silica.

Nice How-To DaQatz. Don't know if you've seen the posts here about Nu-Flow. You can check it out HERE, and request a sample as well.

Last edited:
I can appreciate all the work you put in. Wow. Nice job!
By cutting and sifting out everything you probably get better heat and flavor than I do, but I wonder if its worth it as mine really comes out tasty and hot.
To be honest I just cut in half, dehydrate and run in a coffee grinder to a fine powder, seeds, pith, and all and it's silky smooth.
Might give that a go sometime.

Reactions: Bou
I can appreciate all the work you put in. Wow. Nice job!
By cutting and sifting out everything you probably get better heat and flavor than I do, but I wonder if its worth it as mine really comes out tasty and hot.
To be honest I just cut in half, dehydrate and run in a coffee grinder to a fine powder, seeds, pith, and all and it's silky smooth.
Might give that a go sometime.
I agree☝️. I basically do the same thing except I remove the seeds before dehydrating them. My coffee grinder is a cheap Black & Decker but it gives me a powder almost as fine and without much hassle!

1706062941349.png
1706062979190.png
1706063033103.png

Last edited:
sorry i wasn't quite clear with that. on the request page it asks for your "corporate email" and "company name" as they will not accept requests from personal domains like gmail. just wondering if anyone could lend me an email address to use to make the request. if not, i can try to get someone in the office of the place i work.

sorry i wasn't quite clear with that. on the request page it asks for your "corporate email" and "company name" as they will not accept requests from personal domains like gmail. just wondering if anyone could lend me an email address to use to make the request. if not, i can try to get someone in the office of the place i work.
We just ordered 1 lb & use it for all our powders.

I buy rice hulls from the brewing store. If I can turn them into a fine powder, it should be the same as Nu-FLOW ®. I'm wrong?
All I know is we were looking for a natural alternative, anti caking agent for our Organic Pepper powders.
Did some study & the cool kids :think: thought Nu-flow rice powder was the best choice. We were right even after
2 years our powders are free flowing even in the table shakers.

It's looks like baby powder & mixes quickly into the pepper power, with no change in color or taste.

1706268420044.png

Last edited:
That seems pretty asinine to me
> we cannot accept requests from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL or MSN email addresses.

There are plenty of small businesses that use these.

All I know is we were looking for a natural alternative, anti caking agent for our Organic Pepper powders.
Did some study & the cool kids :think: thought Nu-flow rice powder was the best choice. We were right even after
2 years our powders are free flowing even in the table shakers.

It's looks like baby powder & mixes quickly into the pepper power, with no change in color or taste.
How much do you use in your powdered products?

Back