22 replies to this topic

#21 Tybo

Tybo

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

When using a ground mash its a good idea to go with a much higher percentage. That type of mash will mold more easily unless you can remove the oxygen. Chunks of peppers you can simply keep under a bring line. Mold aint gunna grow worth a damn on salt water. When you process the fermented pieces you dont have to use all your brine either. My cayenne ferment is on its 4th day in my E-Jen fermenter and it already has a sour smell. I used around 2% salt by pepper weight and made a brine to cover them. Caldwell and similar starter cultures make a huge difference in how fast they begin to sour. They are just stupid expensive. A bottle of probiotic juice is way cheaper and will do the same thing.

They do make a fermenter with a pump to remove the air inside the Mason. How well it actually works i dont know. Kits are around $25-$30 and you need some large mouth jars too.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B07JMNMZN2

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B01DJVVORE

51i7qHv6jeL.jpg

I have these lids and pump.  The pump pulls a very good vacuum.  Once CO2 starts the vacuum is replaced with pressure.  We just made some kraut not long ago and the odor in the kitchen was,......well like fermenting kraut!  I have used air locks in the past and much prefer this system.

#22 skullbiker

skullbiker

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

I have these lids and pump.  The pump pulls a very good vacuum.  Once CO2 starts the vacuum is replaced with pressure.  We just made some kraut not long ago and the odor in the kitchen was,......well like fermenting kraut!  I have used air locks in the past and much prefer this system.

I have used these going on 3 years now. I even have the XL lids for gallon jars. All I can say is that this system works GREAT!

#23 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

Ive heard the same thing from several guys. They are all very happy with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests