8 replies to this topic

#1 Ihg3891

Ihg3891

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

A week ago I found out I had a hornworm problem. Came out one morning for work and noticed my plants was looking a little grim, upon further inspection I noticed chunks bitten out of my reapers! I started freaking out!, this is my first time growing anything and didnt know what was going on! Being as it was still dark out, I got my wife to go out as soon as it got light out to see if she could see what was going on. She sends me a picture of the hornworm on the edge of my pot! Droppings was everywhere! Long story short; I lost around 22 peppers between 2 plants! I have a few that Im questioning whether to let go or keep and was hoping I could get some help from you guys here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• B0D427E6-68F0-4707-8D45-BF5F99CA045F.jpeg

#2 Ihg3891

Ihg3891

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

This one has a smaller spot on it

Attached Thumbnails

• 52F8FD6A-6F40-4DBA-AA5C-D96A604BD346.jpeg

#3 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:16 PM

A week ago I found out I had a hornworm problem. Came out one morning for work and noticed my plants was looking a little grim, upon further inspection I noticed chunks bitten out of my reapers! I started freaking out!, this is my first time growing anything and didnt know what was going on! Being as it was still dark out, I got my wife to go out as soon as it got light out to see if she could see what was going on. She sends me a picture of the hornworm on the edge of my pot! Droppings was everywhere! Long story short; I lost around 22 peppers between 2 plants! I have a few that Im questioning whether to let go or keep and was hoping I could get some help from you guys here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try link below - does damage look similar?
    is this damage from a hole boring insect?
_

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#4 Ihg3891

Ihg3891

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:26 PM

Should I discard them is what Im asking? Are they safe to consume?

#5 solid7

solid7

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • aka:Solid7

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

The top picture isn't hornworm damage.  Looks more like sunscald.  If a hornworm wants to eat pods, it will much more fully consume them. 

I mean, I would just throw that pod away.  But if it's a question, then I guess that might mean that you have precious few pods?

Dave2000 - "Problem is, you happened upon the REAL DEAL."

#6 Ihg3891

Ihg3891

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

I have a good bit on there still but I did lose about 20 or so to that worm. Just trying to hold on to whats left if safe and possible! Thanks for the help!

#7 solid7

solid7

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • aka:Solid7

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

If it defoliated your plant, it exposed the fruit to sun scald.  No worries, the leaves will bounce back with vigor. Although your season is a bit short now...

Dave2000 - "Problem is, you happened upon the REAL DEAL."

#8 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:05 AM

The damn things found my brown bhuts over a week ago and they are bouncing back pretty good. Yesterday or the day before they found my aji panca plants too. Last year i had 2 pots with hormworm damage and they did damage peppers also but the damage does not look like yours.

#9 Indiana_Jesse

Indiana_Jesse

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Yes, the peppers are still safe to eat if that is what you are asking. The hornworms don't make them poisonous by feeding on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests