• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

How Does This Venison Jerky Sound?

I just made the second batch of Venison jerky in my Excalibur dehydrator.

I used about 3 pounds of steak, trimmed out what little fat was there and marinated it the following:
Soy sauce
a little liquid smoke
a eye dropper full of Pure Cap

I let it sit in the frig several hours. I drained but not rinsed it. I then added Nesco brand American Harvest jerky seasoning mix.

Now for the good part. The Excalibur has 4 trays. Two trays were plain for the wimps around here. The third tray of meat was coated with red Hab powder. The fourth tray, red Scotch Bonnet powder, white Hab powder Yellow Scotch Bonnet powder and finally, red Hab dust.:D

The best is the fourth tray.

I hope I get some 7 pot pods from the garden next season to try on next year's jerky.............:)

Hey waco you might want to try soaking it longer.Mine soaks for 3 to 5 days.I`ve never had luck with a rub.Mine is laced with carribean red habs and fresh onion.But you`ve got a good starting point to tweak from.Good eating

hixs said:
Hey waco you might want to try soaking it longer.Mine soaks for 3 to 5 days.I`ve never had luck with a rub.Mine is laced with carribean red habs and fresh onion.But you`ve got a good starting point to tweak from.Good eating
It's not really a rub. I just tap the shaker over the trays and let it flow...................

I agree with hixs let it soak longer. I let stay 24-48+hrs. Marinat same as you do only No pure cap. I add garlic powder, fresh cracked black pepper and some of my own powder of the 48 chili's I grow. Then when on the trays I shake some more of my powder to my taste. Always a good flavor and burn.
Dan

Thanks for the info and ideas guys. First day of rifle season in PA is next Monday so with any luck by next weekend I will be making some of this myself. How thin do you slice the meat and which cut of meat is best?

waco - sounds good, except for the fact you didnt let it sit/soak for at least 1-2 days, allows the flavor & cure to soak in throughly.
since on the subject "cure" you didnt mention anything about the cure mixture, unless when you said " jerky seasoning mix" that means the cure & seasoning packets ?
if so you should still allow the cure mixture to do its job & that takes some time, nothing some dusting & then drying will do.
I think on the packet even says at least 1 hour for cure (not sure) but at least 1 day is better IMO. also why not mixing in the spice packet right from the start vs adding it right before drying it ?

jay - I'd use any cut of venison steaks or roasts, except the tenderlions or backstraps (it'd be a waste to use them for jerky! IMO) thickness if you can cut them very thin it'd shorten the drying time but 1/2" thick cuts will do just fine.
BTW good luck to you on firearms opener, I'm sure you're getting antsy :) I got 2 does & a small 9 pointer on opener weekend :cool:

Hell, I've been antsy for months! We can only kill one doe and one buck during rifle season. Nice job CH I'm sure you have plenty of meat to use for jerky. BTW I know better then to use loins for anything but a quick grilling after a nice marinade. I was wondering which roasts or steaks you recommend using. I have mine butchered and the guy freezer wraps them and labels them and everything. I pay enough for it, but it sure makes it nice.

Oh the humanity, shooting harmless animals............not!!!! Bwahahahaha.
Good luck with your first opener JayT.

Venison jerky sounds friggin awesome.

More like my 23rd opener. Oh you mean this year. Thanks. They're not harmless. They are responsible for global warming just like the cows. Haha.

JayT said:
We can only kill one doe and one buck during rifle season.

my area we can take 7 deer for the whole season (only 1 buck though, 6 does)

JayT said:
I was wondering which roasts or steaks you recommend using

I'd use up the roasts & round steaks for jerky, leave the good steaks (anything with loin in them :)) for grilling or ? no point in taking good steaks & making jerky out of them.
if you get one (or 2)you'll have plenty of burger that you can make burger jerky.
its really up to you what you want to use for jerky, either way it'll be good because its venison & its jerky :)

I only got one last year, a nice 8-point with a 18-1/2 in spread weighed about 185. Therefore, I didn't make any bologna or jerky. I used every bit of it for cooking. In fact, I just checked and I have 2lbs of burger left and 1 very small pack of loins. This year I will take a doe if need be so I have more meat. They have bonus tags here where you can take another doe in archery or muzzleloader season.

I slice mine thin (let it freeze slightly and then slice with a sharp knife by hand) so it only needs to marinate overnight.

Pre fab mixes can be very good! But when good jerky is so simple, I always make my own.

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cumin
Fresh Black Pepper (best if cracked coarse over the drying trays)
Soy sauce
A little Worcestershire

And my MUST HAVE..(a little tough for first timers)
Jalapeno powder

I tried 7 pot powder this year. It is good.

You need roughly 4X the jap powder to equal the heat, but jap powder has such flavor!!!

wow, you have venison left from last season, it doesnt last long for me. I've already been eating some steaks,burger, & 10 pounds of sticks (I know this because they're in 5 lbs packs)

that 9 of mine was just a basket 9 (2 yr old) nothing special, around here "if its brown its down" theres no antler restrictions, so seeing a big buck is far & few :( but they're out there.

pick up a bow, seriously! its such a rush & if you're ground hunting & they're within 20 yards of you :cool: plus your season is longer.

Yeah I kept the meat at my Dad's house since he has a monster "meat freezer" and I had no room for it at my house. We share. I was able to choose from venison, elk, or moose every time I went there. I've never been a bowhunter. I live 3 hours from where I hunt and have a little one (two and a half year old son) so my time away to hunt is limited for now.

Well that's my dad's doing. He goes every other year to Gunnison (sp) CO for elk and hit a lottery for a out-of-state moose tag in Maine last year where he killed a nice bull. I have been eating a lot of that which probably explains why I still have morsels of my deer left. Usually it is gone by summer. I recently posted a thread where I made a chili with moose and venison which may have been the best chili I ever made, check it out.

chilehunter said:
lucky you, elk & moose are a once in a lifetime deal for us in MN & going elsewhere for them is very spendy.
.......OK not funny. Give up CH's computer.

If he doesn't issue a blanket insult or a blatantly devil's advocate post 1 in every 3, then I know IT ISN'T HIM!!!!!;)

cheez - WTF you really want to push my buttons, & no I dont insult people every other post, WTF!

you must be a red headed step child.

Novacastrian said:
Oh the humanity, shooting harmless animals............not!!!! Bwahahahaha.

Deer are nothing but a hoofed rat. They are a pest. They eat your crops and landscape plants..............:)

Back