• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Azure coast sauces

Having posted on a number of sauce ferments, recipes, etc., I thought to consolidate things (read: make it easier on the gray matter  ;) ).

Here's the first one put together this weekend:

ferment-03-01-20190922.jpg

265 g red habaneros
235 g red habaneros (frozen)
200 g peperoncinos
6 cloves garlic
0.5 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
4 green cardamom pods, crushed
brine @ 2.5%
(red onion rings to keep things under the brine)

LiamBlack said:
While reading, I realized that I salivate. Tell me how it tastes, I'm interested :)

LiamBlack - I'll indeed report back on how it tastes. I'm going to let it ferment for a bit yet (and for me to find some suitable bottles...).

Here's one for today - a straight up Louisiana Hot Sauce ferment. Background to this is that management has come to like something akin to Tabasco, with a little more heat and better, and just like the last batch I made. So here it goes:

ferment-05-01-20191005.jpg

425 g red habaneros
135 g water
14 g salt

These look great and I can't wait to try, this may be a noobie question, but how do you get the hole in the glass lids without shattering it for the airlock? I ordered air locks that came with metal lids for wide mouth canning jars but I love the look and function of yours.

Also is this a mash or did you chop everything really small? Thank you for this post. Concise and helpful!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pr3ttibrwneyez said:
These look great and I can't wait to try, this may be a noobie question, but how do you get the hole in the glass lids without shattering it for the airlock? I ordered air locks that came with metal lids for wide mouth canning jars but I love the look and function of yours.

Also is this a mash or did you chop everything really small? Thank you for this post. Concise and helpful!

The jars themselves are straight from the supplier. I used a drill press and a suitably sized glass drill bit to make the holes. Can't say I'd recommend not using a drill press, but people do...

The most recent ferment is a mash, so blended before putting it into the container. (A food processor would also produce something similar.) The earlier ones are ingredients hand chopped to varying degrees of small'ness.

nice.chili said:

The jars themselves are straight from the supplier. I used a drill press and a suitably sized glass drill bit to make the holes. Can't say I'd recommend not using a drill press, but people do...

The most recent ferment is a mash, so blended before putting it into the container. (A food processor would also produce something similar.) The earlier ones are ingredients hand chopped to varying degrees of small'ness.
There's no way I can do the jars then, unless someone is selling them done. However, I'm definitely going to try using what I have available. Thanks.

Here's the first of which I put together in late August. In the coming weeks (I plan) I'll process and bottle, and will post further on, so for completeness:

ferment-02-02-20190831.jpg

150 g roasted peperoncinos
230 g peperoncinos
500 g frozen red habaneros
200 g carrots
200 g yellow onions
60 g roasted garlic
49 g salt
6 capsules 10 billion cfu lactobacillus

The general plan with these was to test out different ratios of ingredients and to use frozen pods, with a starter.
So the second one:

ferment-02-03-20190831.jpg

340 g peperoncinos
170 g frozen red habaneros
340 g carrots
340 g red onions
130 g garlic
49 g salt
6 capsules 10 billion cfu lactobacillus

pr3ttibrwneyez said:

You can buy jars with the hole already there.  I have a couple 1/2 gallon jars with the flip top lid with the hole and grommet already in it but I don't remember where I ordered them from.  With a quick google search I found this site but their prices seem kinda high.
https://store.probioticjar.com/category-s/1814.htm
If I can remember where I got them I'll let you know.

To be honest though, I have these easy fermenter lids that fit wide mouth mason jars that in my opinion are way better.  They work!!  Check them out.https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fermenter-Wide-Mouth-Lid/dp/B01DJVVORE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImd729dGa5QIVhJOzCh3LjAcQEAAYASAAEgIRhvD_BwE&hvadid=241585687606&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9008758&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13073491152444035845&hvtargid=kwd-161136062436&keywords=easy+fermenter&qid=1571017965&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSUhMOFdQQlUzOEQ4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjQzNDkxMVU2MzJaMDNYNzE3TiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDcxNDU2Mk0yS1o2U0NKUVJTUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Here's the result after processing of the second ferment posted on 13 Oct (ferment started on 29 Aug). 1x 250 mL and 2x 100 mL bottle.
Processing consisted of (and making sure to use all the kitchen gadgets :)):
  • Strained
  • Fine chop, via a food processor
  • Run through a food mill
  • Blend
  • Hot bottle
pH of the ferment was 2.98, so the sauce is nicely mouth watering. Flavour-wise not very hot but still with a bit of heat. I thought to add a little white wine vinegar or similar to round it out, but left it as it is - it was always a test run. Management (never one for too hot) though liked it: "it bursts out in the mouth with flavour".

ferment-02-04-20191019.jpg

As for the first ferment also posted on the 13 Oct (ferment started on 31 Aug), it didn't make it. I knew it before even opening the jar as there was a touch of mould in the airlock.

Upon opening it there was that decidedly "just off" smell. (I think of it correctly or not as an off alcoholic ferment smell.) Not sure what made it go bad, the pH was OK at 3.1, but it did ferment through the airlock and maybe this is what killed it.

Ultimately I think a learning for sanitation. I'll redouble the efforts on this front, already heat sterilizing everything that can be. Starsan or similar is now on the shopping list...  :)

Processed the hot sauce detailed in the first post. pH came in at 3.2 and 90 mL of white wine vinegar was added to add a little sweetness. Good taste during sampling, fairly warm, will try some on breakfast eggs tomorrow.

Final product - just shy of 5x 100 mL bottles (annoyingly just short... :rolleyes:):

ferment-03-02-20191026.jpg

And now also the ferment detailed in the second post. pH came in at 3.15 and 105 mL white balsamic vinegar was added. It's a pretty hot sauce... You know about it straight away.
Still with the mango and pineapple in there, plus the balsamic vinegar, its got a good sweeter taste. I have another batch of something similar bubbling away, without the fruit but to be added post ferment.

Final product - 6 x 100 mL bottles, along with a sampler bottle left over:

ferment-04-02-20191028.jpg

Last year some time I came across the How to Make Hot Sauce | Hot Ones Extra video with Queen Majesty Hot Sauce. Just the other day one of the recipes described floated back into memory, and I thought perfect to try out with the 7 pot primos that I now have a good stash of.

It turned out pretty well, 10x 100 mL bottles, pH @ 3.26. Quite a good sauce, moderately warm and also not too hot for the non chilli head:

sauce-01-01-20191101.jpg

3 cups apple cidre vinegar
2 tbsp sweet red vermouth
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp italian parsley
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 cup sun dried tomato
1.5 cup red bell pepper
1 cup yellow onion
6 cloves garlic
1 pod 7 pot primo

Here's a remake of sauce from a previous post - the Bahamian Goat Pepper plant has had another good year. pH at 3.7, 8x 100 mL and 2x 250 mL bottles:

sauce-03-01-20191109.jpg

400 g carrots
350 g yellow tomatoes
290 g yellow bell peppers
236 g water (1 cup)
200 g yellow onions
118 g white wine vinegar
118 g rice wine vinegar
100 g bahamian goat peppers (12 pods)
70 g lime juice (2 limes)
56 g garlic (6 cloves)
50 g ginger
30 g dried apricots (4 fruit)
6 aji pineapple pods
8 whole allspice berries
4 cloves
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp tumeric

Next time I would consider a couple more apricots. And also do something different with the water and vinegar ratios, e.g., swap either white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar for the rice wine vinegar, for a little more "tang" and sweetness.

Back