• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Small batch HOT pepper jelly

Im not looking to make more than a couple pints. Even a pint with a little extra is fine.

Ive got

Pectins (both powder and liquid)
Tekne Dolmasi (ripe)
Scorpions
Reapers
Dragons Breath
JPGS
Crushed pineapple
Pineapple juice concentrate
Sugar
Many kinds of vinegar. Like to use rice vinegar or cane since i keep larger amounts of those on hand.

So it comes down to how many super hot pods to use to make a hot jelly that is not totally brutal? I would imagine a couple Reapers, Scorpions or Dragons Breath for a pint will be very noticeable? I have a few of each already dried also.

My wife and I recently made some jelly with ghost peppers.  We only used 2 ghosts that were about 3" long and made 4 8oz jelly jars.  No additional fruit as we wanted the flavor of the peppers to be dominant.  My wife won't even eat any of it and I use it sparingly.  It's not totally brutal but it is definitely hot, hot, hot!
I've seen many of your recipes and think you will come up with a good one for this!  Keep us posted.

I just went through this with hab-apricot jelly. I deseeded mine which had paper lanterns and white ghosts and it wasn't hot enough. I would wait 3 days before checking where the heat is at. Orange habs with devils tongue with the seeds in was the comparison batch. If you are unsure reduce the seed load on the reapers. Make the smallest batch you can get away with. While it is more work, I reheated all the batches I was unhappy with and kept adding scotch bonnets with seeds until I had my up front taste that I was looking for. 

This is probably gunna be:

CCN Reapers
Yellow bell pepper
Pineapple

I do have plenty of bonnets and some Scotch Brains i can try sometime too

I just finished a batch of Reaper jelly.

Crushed pineapple
Red bell peppers
10 Reapers 2oz.by weight
Made 12, 8oz jars

What really made this jelly Stand Out was I smoked the red bell peppers for several hours. Mmmm

Reaper Pineapple does sound good dont it. :D

So lets see here that is almost 1 pod per 8oz jar. Or 2 pods per pint jar. So i think my estimate is close. Maybe toss in one bonnet a little chunky for added texture.

I cant get it cheap anymore but Rothchild Farms pineapple habanero sauce was killer. A bit too sweet and not really hot but damn good as a glaze. Delicious on a piece of pork or chicken. Its sort of my inspiration for the jelly and DAMNIT i forgot the fresh pineapple at the market yesterday!!!!!

Back