• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoors and outdoors in relatively cold climate!? Tips on strong peppers!

Hi.

I live in a housing association and we are working on our little garden so I'm thinking first of all what kind of stuff I could plant in a relatively cold climate, (central Sweden, pretty rainy) and secondly and perhaps more importantly, if you have a pepper plant or if somebody would like to send me some seeds (i'll pay a bit np!) that grows well indoors and that could be planted in a utilitarian way, meaning not some of those little tiny bushes that are more for looks!

Cheerrs guys!

I don't think you'll find a pepper that does well in cold climates.  Most varieties I'm aware of don't like cold at all and I don't know of any that can handle freezing temperatures.

But indoors, you can grow anything  you like.  All you need is warmth and light.  If the temperature indoors is comfortable for you, it will be fine for peppers.  As for light, if you have a window with a lot of full sunlight then that would be ideal.  If not, you can use artificial light in the form of fluorescent tubes or LEDs.  The lights do need to be quite bright and relatively close to the plants to get maximum effectiveness. If you have the budget for it, I'd recommend some LED grow lights.  They're very efficient for the amount of light they put out and take up far less room than fluorescent tubes of similar output.  The plants will grow under less than optimal lighting but to induce flowering/fruiting, they do need strong lighting.

I'm currently growing habanero, jalapeno, serrano, red bell, bhut jolokia, aji lemon, and hot cherry indoors and they're all producing fruit.  The ghost, aji, and hot cherry are in a closet with an LED grow light and the rest are in a kitchen window.  My inside temps range from 65F/18C to 75F/24C.  The temp in the window during the winter probably drops down to about 60F/15C but they aren't bothered by it.

As for seeds, if you can't find any locally or find someone on your side of the world to share, there's plenty of online options to purchase seeds.  I believe international shipping from the USA would be more expensive than ordering from a European supplier.

I hope you give it a try, good luck!

I'm in linköping, I grow indoors all year
round with just natural sunlight and outdoors/in a greenhouse from spring until autumn. I have had great success with everything I have grown from the sweetest bell peppers to the strongest Carolina Reapers. I'm only at the end of my 2nd year growing chilis (although I have been growing fruit, vegetables and other things for 20+ years) I'm far from a expert, however I have learned alot about growing in our climate and am happy to help you with seeds and advice.

You need to check out rocotos.  (C. Pubescens)  You'll still have to take them in during winter months, but they should do phenomenally well, in your area.  Podz, a member from Finland, has had great success with them.  Maybe he'll weigh in...

Ah we can't take them in but I was hoping for a plant that could perhaps survive the winter. Otherwise we could just plant each year at spring I guess?

Indoors I was just planning inside my apartment :) So nothing too advanced. I think that lighting might be a problem then.  But there might be a spot on the floor that hits it just right.

Hotsaucer said:
Ah we can't take them in but I was hoping for a plant that could perhaps survive the winter. Otherwise we could just plant each year at spring I guess?

Indoors I was just planning inside my apartment :) So nothing too advanced. I think that lighting might be a problem then.  But there might be a spot on the floor that hits it just right.

Why can't you take them indoors, if you are already planning an indoors space?

Lots of people trim their plants back to a very small stump, and overwinter them indoors.  You could even do Bonchi with them.

solid7 said:
You need to check out rocotos.  (C. Pubescens)  You'll still have to take them in during winter months, but they should do phenomenally well, in your area.  Podz, a member from Finland, has had great success with them.  Maybe he'll weigh in...

I agree with this post.
This season was very hard on my outdoor plants. Many rainy days, and winds blowing most days gave my plants a very tough time. I live in DK BTW.
The only unaffected plant was a Capsicum Pubescens.
This kind of pepper is actually thriving under such conditions in the Andes Mountains - making it perfectly suited for Scandinavian weather/climate.

The only downside IMO with some Pubescens plants is, that they generally take a long time from seed to harvest.
But you can't go wrong with these.
My only Pubescens plant even survived a couple of aphid attacks during the season, which is interesting to me, as this plant needed less maintenance than any of my other plants did :)

Next season I will definitely grow more of them!

Back