• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Early varieties?

I'm in a place with a long growing season (usually fewer than 3 frosts per year, often we have none). We usually have an Indian summer where daily highs don't drop into the 60's until November. It's a great climate, but I've got no space to put plants for a full day of sunlight. Peppers grow pretty fast in the summer months, but right now my plants are only getting about 6 hours direct sun per day.

For various reasons, I didn't get most plants outside until June. Unfortunately a couple plants don't have any pods right now, just lots of flowers. I expect a decent amount of fruit from Aji Fantasy, Sugar Rush Peach, Sweet Apple, BTR Scorpion, and Bahamian Goat. The other plants...not so much. I want to continue growing early plants in the coming years for the flexibility and the natural light situation I'm in.

Any recommendations for tasty early varieties? I like peppers from across the heat spectrum, and I especially love the flavor of many chocolate chinenses and bhut jolokias.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I got a few JPGS and Scotch Brains early this year. JPGS did really well actually for a super.
I keep seeing jpgs show up. I may need to add them to my 2020 grow. I do have a red ghost scorpion that's been putting out pods, but they don't look nearly as nice as yours.

My first wave of JPGS looked alright but not wicked. Mid/late season pods were great looking. Best production of any super i tried yet.

dragonsfire said:
Apache Peppers grow quick, Cayenne types, I found the hotter the pepper the longer it takes in my area.

Thanks, I'll give those a shot next year. Looks like it would be a good base for sauce if I can get enough yield.

I thought that hot Chinenses would be the slowest for me too, but my Bahamian Goat and BTR Scorpion have more fruits than any of the other plants trhat went outside in June, and they look like they will ripen soon. But it looks like the Sugar Rush Peach will ripen first but yield less.

stringer said:
Is this topic better suited to the growing peppers subforum?
topics.jpg

Dunno, this discussion about varieties & not growing them, right?

Awesome. Thank you. Anyone else has recommendations for early varieties? At this point, especially interested in early hot chinenses. Anyone have experience with this?

Back