• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need a recommendation fort a grow light

You could go right here in Grow Tech  where we : Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!

willard3 said:
You could go right here in Grow Tech  where we : Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!
My bad

I think a 4 bulb T8 was 30 bucks last I checked, and you would have to build something/hang it. And Idk how well it would work for maturing pods.

Those led shop lights from Wal-Mart seemed to work alright for starting plants, I covered 15 square feet with 3 of them, again Idk how well they would grow full sized plants, and I imagine 1-2 of your fully bushed plants would fill that area right?

There are the hlg led lights, but your gonna spend a lot more than 50 covering all those plants too I would imagine, maybe post a pic of the plants, and how much area your trying to cover. But imo your not gonna get much light for 50

Walchit said:
I think a 4 bulb T8 was 30 bucks last I checked, and you would have to build something/hang it. And Idk how well it would work for maturing pods.

Those led shop lights from Wal-Mart seemed to work alright for starting plants, I covered 15 square feet with 3 of them, again Idk how well they would grow full sized plants, and I imagine 1-2 of your fully bushed plants would fill that area right?

There are the hlg led lights, but your gonna spend a lot more than 50 covering all those plants too I would imagine, maybe post a pic of the plants, and how much area your trying to cover. But imo your not gonna get much light for 50

Thanks. I reposted in the other sub forum. I also asked in the repost if one light could be used for flowering and growing pods and also for starting young plants for next year

The lights should work, but you might get more flowers with a flower bulb, but I use a veg bulb all year and I have hundreds of flowers

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

KevinThePepperhead said:
The lights should work, but you might get more flowers with a flower bulb, but I use a veg bulb all year and I have hundreds of flowers

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Can you give me a link so that I can see what you're talkin about? Here's a picture of my mature plants. most of them have a bunch of peppers still on them that are not mature yet as we had a overnight cold snap and I had to hurry up and get them in the pots and back into the house. so I want to keep maturing the existing peppers and I would like to have them flower so they can grow some more over the winter.

Attachments

• 20191011_114924.jpg
    20191011_114924.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 61
cmwr said:
Thank you for that! Can I use those same lights 2 grow my starter seedlings? And what is the best color for what I'm trying to do? Red blue white?

Yes, you can use the same light, just adjust height.  And there is no "color".  That's a full spectrum light, with UV.  Full spectrum is fantastic for growing, from seedling to compost heap.

solid7 said:

Yes, you can use the same light, just adjust height.  And there is no "color".  That's a full spectrum light, with UV.  Full spectrum is fantastic for growing, from seedling to compost heap.
Thank you.

I have bought several of those, and once I had a problem with one, and they had a replacement to me, before I even sent back the old one.  So even if they're not top quality, they're cheap enough to throw away.

solid7 said:
I have bought several of those, and once I had a problem with one, and they had a replacement to me, before I even sent back the old one.  So even if they're not top quality, they're cheap enough to throw away.
I sent you a p.m. with some links. yeah I just want to get by effectively cheap and then as I gain experience in the future I can always upgrade to better stuff

cmwr said:
I sent you a p.m. with some links. yeah I just want to get by effectively cheap and then as I gain experience in the future I can always upgrade to better stuff

I have never upgraded past "effectively cheap".  If you but what's considered to be "quality", you'll spend substantially more money.  For what I have invested in my lights, I still wouldn't have even purchased one single "good" light.  Mine are working for 5+ years now.

If you want to upgrade the light a bit,
for just a few bucks more,
then add the words "triple chip" to your search on amazon.
little bit more money, but much brighter
and that counts when you are trying to fruit them
and need better penetration through the canopy.

HungryJack said:
If you want to upgrade the light a bit,
for just a few bucks more,
then add the words "triple chip" to your search on amazon.
little bit more money, but much brighter
and that counts when you are trying to fruit them
and need better penetration through the canopy.

That's a fair point, but the double chips are already fantastic.  And I had also advised privately that the "veg" and "bloom" are not for pepper growers.  A pepper plant will attempt to put on fruit during its entire life, no special cycles needed.  In 6 years of growing, I've never once switched the mode.
Once you get to a certain amount of light, you can just end up wasting $, if you're not careful.  It's tempting to grow the bushiest plants possible, but indoors, it's just not that necessary.  At some point, you should be looking at topping plants for uniform height, to make the best use of your light.  Outdoors under sun, let them bitches bush out... 

solid7 said:

That's a fair point, but the double chips are already fantastic.  
I agree they are more than enough.

Only other advantage of the triple is,
you can raise them a little higher
and increase the footprint you can keep under light,
depending on your needs, seedlings, overwinter, etc,
gives you a little more flexibility.

I wouldn't upgrade to a triple if I already owned a double,
but if just starting out,
and 20% more doesn't matter, triple.

Lights are a great deal today,
compared to just 10 years ago,
fraction of the price.

Yeah, man, that's all good.  The footprint is the most substantial point.  You may even be able to get away with one light, instead of 2, with a single light.

solid7 said:
 ... At some point, you should be looking at topping plants for uniform height, to make the best use of your light.  ... 
Holy shit. That's so obvious, yet i never considered that until now. The weird measures i took with my seedlings this season were just labor-intensive and sorta ineffective. Topping for uniform height? That sounds brilliant.

Bicycle808 said:
Holy shit. That's so obvious, yet i never considered that until now. The weird measures i took with my seedlings this season were just labor-intensive and sorta ineffective. Topping for uniform height? That sounds brilliant.

It works even better when you keep similar plant species grouped.  When you have something like a Brazilian Starfish, that grows at warp speed to gigantic heights, it won't always cooperate with this method, in a mixed crowd.  But if you've got a few of them under one light...  you learn through trial and error.  Growth rates should be observed closely for this purpose.  It takes some of the work out.
I also like to keep low branches trimmed, with the fan blowing under the canopy, as soon as reasonably feasible. 

Back