• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Dreadie and TFM ferment

Just 32 grams sea salt, Dreadies, TFMs, tsp of sugar, tbs of cider vinegar to take the pH down a little and a pack of Cutting Edge starter. It was roughly 2 full quart ziplocks full of pods. Whole they were more than would fit in a 2qt Mason jar. I quartered the pods and removed most of the seeds. I wont be running a long room temp ferment for bonnets. A couple weeks then pulsed into a mash and into the fridge to finish.
PZUstMg.jpg

Looks good.  Im interested to find out how this turns out since I found out this season that I like the yellow bonnet's. :P   
Have you ever used Caldwells starter?  I just started some fatalii's with some yellow bell (enough to help the fatalii's fill a quart jar) along with some Caldwells.  I've never used it before but heard some good things about it.

I have 2 quart size freezer bags of bonnets waiting for sauce making.

Ive tried Caldwells and Cutting Edge. Cant say ive tried both with peppers but both work. Make the brine and give it a sugar source to munch on to speed things up a little more. I normally just use a tbs or two of kraut juice when i want a starter.

My criteria had less to do with the pepper and more to do with risk and fridge space. My fermenter pale is rather large but ive never gotten mold using it. Cayenne probably is better with a longer ferment. I got a few bottles of Crystals so im in no hurry.

I got bonnets out the wazoo and my pale is full atm. A 2 quart jar with air lock though is just a bit of a pain in the fridge. Once its sour enough i can chop it down finer. Im fairly certain it will fit in a quart jar. It will still ferment in the fridge just slower. I can use it when its convenient to do so. Chance of spoiling will be pretty low.

Added to the above
2 Tsp sugar
1/4 Tsp turmeric
1/4 Tsp alder smoked salt
2 Tbs pineapple juice concentrate after killing the heat

Still needs a final spin in the bullet. I blended it some just before the cook down. Its quite a bit hotter than i thought it would be. Maybe a tad salty for my taste but atm i cant taste much after all the sampling. :P
9jNBMQp.jpg

RzH7X9g.jpg

bHJVo8e.jpg

This sounds great. Curious on why adding vinegar at the beginning of fermentation. I see you said to lower the ph but wouldn’t vinegar slow the fermentation? Maybe it is so little it does not. Thinking out loud here.

Back