• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best pepper to grow

What is the best pepper to grow if one wants to:
(And I understand they might not be the same pepper for each question)
1) Best flavor, in your opinion
2) Largest crop per plant
3) Most culinary uses in the kitchen
4) Easiest to grow
5) Anything else you think I might be missing

I have 3 Trinadad Moruga Scorpion Pepper plants that I just brought in to overwinter. These are quite hot peppers, and I was wondering what other peppers I could grow. Doesn't have to be super hot either as I have that box checked.

Agridion said:
What is the best pepper to grow if one wants to:
(And I understand they might not be the same pepper for each question)

1) Best flavor, in your opinion...Aji Limon
2) Largest crop per plant........Bonnie's Habanero
3) Most culinary uses in the kitchen.....Any type of Thai
4) Easiest to grow
5) Anything else you think I might be missing

I have 3 Trinadad Moruga Scorpion Pepper plants that I just brought in to overwinter. These are quite hot peppers, and I was wondering what other peppers I could grow. Doesn't have to be super hot either as I have that box checked.

Jalapeno is so flexible. Easy to grow and tolerates heat better than some. I got 50ish pods off a Zapotec in a fabric pot this year. Im sure ive gotten more off of Mucho Nacho or Chichimeca in ground but both did well in pots also.

The pepper that did killer for me this year in a hard pot was Joes Long Cayenne. Over 620grams from a smallish plant. At one time it had more pods than leaves and nothing bothered it.

Had great luck with the plain jane orange habs too.

Two years running and Papa Dreadies crank out pods in my climate. So do the TFM bonnets but i only have one season under my belt. Great flavor from either. Liked bonnets so much i wont ever grow orange habs again.

1.  NuMex Chiles or Shishitos
2.  Aji Lemon Drop, Chiltepin, Serrano, Jalapeno
3.  Jalapeno
4.  NuMex Chiles, Cubanelles
5.  Hotter might not be better, Superhots have limited uses, 1 plant produces lots of pods

Harry_Dangler said:
1.  NuMex Chiles or Shishitos
2.  Aji Lemon Drop, Chiltepin, Serrano, Jalapeno
3.  Jalapeno
4.  NuMex Chiles, Cubanelles
5.  Hotter might not be better, Superhots have limited uses, 1 plant produces lots of pods
I have 3 plants of the Trinadad Scorpion, next year I'll get rid of 2 once I know which plant grows the more beautiful pepper and get a few other types of pepper plants. So I definitely don't need hotter. Looking nfor something that I can cook with and has fantastic taste. I think I have the superhot covered

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Jalapeno is so flexible. Easy to grow and tolerates heat better than some. I got 50ish pods off a Zapotec in a fabric pot this year. Im sure ive gotten more off of Mucho Nacho or Chichimeca in ground but both did well in pots also.

The pepper that did killer for me this year in a hard pot was Joes Long Cayenne. Over 620grams from a smallish plant. At one time it had more pods than leaves and nothing bothered it.

Had great luck with the plain jane orange habs too.

Two years running and Papa Dreadies crank out pods in my climate. So do the TFM bonnets but i only have one season under my belt. Great flavor from either. Liked bonnets so much i wont ever grow orange habs again.

Thanks. So you are recommending jalapenos and or Bonnets? What type of jalapeno should I grow?

Bonnie Mucho Nacho....good heat but great flavor...easily found at Lowes and Home Cheapo.
Chichimeca...good heat and good flavor but plants can get very large
Zapotec Jalapeno.....Really hot for a jalapeno and its a landrace. Plants are a bit smaller.

Im trying Numex Orange spice next year. They are supposed to be really hot and have really good flavor too.

Biker Billy Jalapeno ..... good heat, good flavor, medium sized plant in my raised beds.  

I think Ecuadorian sweet rocotos are the king of flavor for me.  Not the easiest to grow, but well worth the effort.   Brazilian starfish are another nice sweet pepper with a bit of heat.  The whole family likes them.  For culinary purposes, I like wiri wiri more than any cayenne or tabasco.  Or for recipes and powders that resemble Tex-Mex or Mexican, hard to go wrong with NuMex varieties - amongst which Big Jim are pretty hard to beat.   And for just an all around good pepper, I don't grow a garden without Aji Amarillo. (like an evolved jalapeno)

I think you should get some successful grows going before worrying too much about yields.  There's nothing worse than having a haul of peppers that you think suck, and then don't know what to do with them.  Conditions play a huge part in yields, so it's best to just get growing, and see how well something does in your area.  Most varieties of peppers tend to be pretty healthy producers, when all their basic needs are met.  (especially if you get them started and established before it's time to plant out)

I'm partial to pubescens when it comes to taste and heat combination, but they rank high on the difficulty scale in terms of growing to maturity.

Highest yield per plant that I've ever seen is Bishop's Crown (baccatum). Easily more than 1000 pods on a single plant and the flavor is great but not much heat.

Easiest to grow: Star Flame (annuum) - high yield and even has heat when it's green, unlike cayenne. Very hot.

This is just based off of what I grew this year, only grew around a dozen varieties this season though.

1) Best flavor, in your opinion. Orange Habaneros
2) Largest crop per plant. 7 Pod Primos
3) Most culinary uses in the kitchen. Yellow Scotch Bonnet Burkina or Serrano
4) Easiest to grow. Peach Habaneros
5) Anything else you think I might be missing. Tons of stuff we are both missing out on, but that you will find here eventually!

Nice list everyone some interesting peppers the
Ecuadorian sweet rocoto sounds very interesting anyone have a vendor for seeds?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Agridion said:
How are Padrón peppers?

Excellent.  I grow them every year because of that.

Other peppers I grow every year:

Aleppo
Bahamian Goat
Fish
Big Jim
Fresno

Peppers I grew this year that will definitely be in next year's garden:

Giant Chocolate Habanero
Goats Weed
Large Thai

Back