• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tamarind Chutney...sorta

Ok, who has made tamarind chutney from the paste? I see recipes calling for around 1tbs of paste per cup of water and about a tsp of cayenne heat level powders. I plan to use about half  that much in dried supers. Probably some brown bhut or Naglah.

Garam masala...yes/no?
Ginger powder yes/no?
I got Mexican brown sugar if that ok instead of jaggery but i can easily get the jaggery when i get more tamarind paste?
I see dates listed in some recipes. I dont really taste that from the ones ive tried but its possible.

I want to make up a couple cups worth and take half to my favorite Indian restaurant. They actually dont have it on their little chutney bar and i love it with tandoori/Tikka chicken. I give them some of my extra pods each year and they give me a few perks when i go there for lunch. I thought it might be a nice gift since they really like spicy.

Any time I've seen the dates or raisins they are small little bits and not too many.

Ive used them several times, Apple Ginger combos my fav mixes.
Rasins and dates also added for sweetness.
Jaggery you have to be careful since the low cost ones are mostly regular processed sugar.

We made chutney yesterday.

2 "blocks" of pitted, dried dates pulled apart to individual pieces and tossed into a 3-litre kettle with 1 litre of water and simmered until it was a nice, thick gravy. Took about 20-30 minutes.

446300009.jpg

2 yuuuuge, ripe mangos chopped into cubes and tossed into the pot. These mangos were something like 750 grams each, that is about 1.6 lbs.

12 green Manzano Rojos deseeded, diced and tossed into the pot. They ain't red but they are green-mature and they do have a serious level of heat.

Simmered further until the mangos were soft.

Put into 4 x half-litre vacuum-boil jars.

The taste of this stuff will knock your socks off, mindblowingly complex flavours. There is zero need to add any sugar or spices or anything else except those 3 simple ingredients. It really is that freakin' simple.

Back