• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What kind of pepper is growing in the garden of my new house?

Hi all! We are renting a house that we moved into a couple months ago, and we have a big garden area in the back that has a number of plants already growing in it. There are some jalapeno plants, but there is also a big, very tall pepper plant that has purple flowers and a bunch of 1-2 inch red peppers growing on it. I harvested a couple of these peppers today, and they have black seeds inside (not moldy or rotten, just black).

Based on all of these features and the research I've done, I'm fairly sure they're some varietal of C. pubescens, but I'm not sure what type they are, or what I should make with them! Thoughts? Pictures below:

A couple of the green peppers and a couple of the ripe red ones:
uf7-E0-W3-HS8e-KJP5-Fp-MPY6-Q.jpg

A red one and a green one cut open (the green ones have light brown seeds, not black)
b-Ezzm0d-WRHu4-EGPOTd-Kgiw.jpg

One of the red ones cut open lengthwise:
i3l-Yzg-U-TP6-HZjhb-NPCLs-A.jpg

BTW, pubescens seeds need to be removed because they are hard like rocks. Be careful to remove them from the placenta with a thin, sharp knife but don't discard the placenta - that's where 90% of the heat lives.

Most smallish peppers, when I make salsa I just leave the seeds in. Pubes need to have them removed in any case. The seeds are hard enough to crack a filling in your tooth, for example.

Pubes are totally awesome for making salsa because of their juicy-fruit flavor and long, slow burn.

Mix with white onions, tomatoes, lime juice, salt and chopped, fresh coriander (what you North Americans refer to as "cilantro"). Maybe add some green bell peppers to tone the heat down a bit.

podz said:
Pubes are totally awesome for making salsa because of their juicy-fruit flavor and long, slow burn.

Mix with white onions, tomatoes, lime juice, salt and chopped, fresh coriander (what you North Americans refer to as "cilantro"). Maybe add some green bell peppers to tone the heat down a bit.

I would suggest you go very lightly on the cilantro, add to taste. I use none in any of my recipes and don't miss it a bit. I know people who make sandwiches out of it and nothing else :eh: ...

My opinion of cilantro notwithstanding, You've got a great pepper growing there. I grew Rocotos this year with varying shapes, they do that. The long ones look like Ecuador Red, maybe Red Turbo Pube, but they could be just like Podz sez...

I have yet to meet a Rocoto that wasn't YUM...

Back