• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Comprehensive Scoville List

I have been scouring the internet looking for the most complete, comprehensive scoville list but haven't been able to find one. In particular, I note that most lists include one or two superhots but not all of them. Have any of you found such a list that is up to date enough to include all the superhots as well?

Most of the ones you will find are market driven and will vary
depending on weather, stress, and other factors so a pepper that tests
@ 100,000 shu may go 400,000 the next year (some of the tobassco tests
are impressive) The seed and pepper sellers pay for the tests, so what
pods will be tested? I find it's more fun to try them out in casual
"taste tests" , first you eat a Red Savena for a "control" then go from there ;).

ButchT

Tigahb8 said:
Most of the ones you will find are market driven and will vary
depending on weather, stress, and other factors so a pepper that tests
@ 100,000 shu may go 400,000 the next year (some of the tobassco tests
are impressive) The seed and pepper sellers pay for the tests, so what
pods will be tested? I find it's more fun to try them out in casual
"taste tests" , first you eat a Red Savena for a "control" then go from there ;).

ButchT

Hi Butch,

Thanks for your response. Though the effectiveness of the Scoville rating system is an interesting subject, I am really only looking for the most comprehensive list available at this time. Most, if not all lists indicate a range of heat for each pepper which takes the factors you've listed into account, and I am cognizant of the weaknessess of the system. I have eaten many kinds of peppers, including some of the superhots. I am not a newbie to this obsession we all share. I thought that if someone had a link to a complete up to date scoville list, I'd really like it, that's all.

Thanks again. :)

I've never seen one that includes all superhots PC, I'm not sure an accurate one exists. for example, the fatalii is a very popular hot pepper but I can't ever recall seeing an SHU rating for it. I think the tests are expensive to run and a single test may not be indicative of all pods of that same variety so that could explain the lack of information available.

I agree that currently...
Many chiles are inaccurately noted...and most that are grown on this forum are either absent, or poorly represented

It's true that the variables would make a list almost worthless but it's still fun to have an idea on the SHU's of a pepper you just ate.

I would also like to see a list like that :)
How much does HPLC lab testing actually cost?? I'd imagine the breeders of the bhut jolokia would do those tests every season..

we could all grow the same species from the same seed source and all have different SHU readings, the whole scale isn't that accurate in saying how hot, all it can tell you is how hot the pods were that they tested.
I'd say the hottest i've had is the chileman's snakebite pure venom (from the first batch), boy it's good and still got a half bottle in the fridge.
A little goes a long way with this stuff!

Interesting. Is the consensus that the Scoville scale is actually so flawed, so fundamentally inaccurate as to render it totally useless? I agree with Patrick that it's fun to have an idea of how hot a pepper tested, under laboratory conditions. I just think it would be interesting to raise, say, the top ten hottest peppers. How about that as a question, instead?

Can we all agree on which peppers are the Top Ten Hottest?

I think there are plenty of threads here dealing with the "hottest" peppers and personally I wouldn't say the red savina is anywhere near the Bhuts/nagas etc, but who cares if you enjoy them.
I like the way the chileman has it broken down without being too quantitative: very sweet, sweet, mild, medium, hot, very hot, extremely hot, outrageously hot, nuclear
http://www.thechileman.org/search.php

have a HPLC and Scientist at call, but all it does will cause arguments eg, we are growing all the Naga's , scorps ,7's and 20 diff types in 3 diff states , NSW WA and NT here in aust which all have Varied Conditios and Temps, even if take a cross section of all from all areas,put up an Average,, People will still bitch about something so not bothering, they may though and if do will let all know

Heat Opinion is open to all as Some can handle Capsaicin better than Dihydrocapsaicin and visaversa

pure capsaicin comes on instantly and sharp but it lasts a relatively short time.Dihydrocapsaicn (eg Rocoto) however comes on slowly and the burn seems to go on for ever, also noticed that by coincidence or what ever the Dihydrocapsaicin was retained on the HPLC column much longer than Capsaicin.There is only a single double bond difference in the molecule from the normal Capsaicin but it makes a huge difference.

oh crap im confusing myself, i hate that

theHippySeedCo said:
have a HPLC and Scientist at call, but all it does will cause arguments eg, we are growing all the Naga's , scorps ,7's and 20 diff types in 3 diff states , NSW WA and NT here in aust which all have Varied Conditios and Temps, even if take a cross section of all from all areas,put up an Average,, People will still bitch about something so not bothering, they may though and if do will let all know

Heat Opinion is open to all as Some can handle Capsaicin better than Dihydrocapsaicin and visaversa

pure capsaicin comes on instantly and sharp but it lasts a relatively short time.Dihydrocapsaicn (eg Rocoto) however comes on slowly and the burn seems to go on for ever, also noticed that by coincidence or what ever the Dihydrocapsaicin was retained on the HPLC column much longer than Capsaicin.There is only a single double bond difference in the molecule from the normal Capsaicin but it makes a huge difference.

oh crap im confusing myself, i hate that
I always expected there were a couple of different chemical compositions of Capsaicin, you now confirmed it :P
Maybe it's comparable to marihuana where everyone talks about thc while there are a lot more active ingredients in there.. That would explain the different burns..

POTAWIE said:
I like the way the chileman has it broken down without being too quantitative: very sweet, sweet, mild, medium, hot, very hot, extremely hot, outrageously hot, nuclear
http://www.thechileman.org/search.php

great site, only thing I wish he'd add is a better search engine, I know that might be alot of work but would be really helpful to other chileheads trying to figure out what they're growing. as we all know this is so true, not knowing what we're growing (sometimes) & you dont know the name of it because you're "searching" - if you knew the name then you really dont need to search ;)

Back