• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone ever grown bamboo

Never grown it personally, but around here it becomes invasive and owns pretty much everything around where it's planted. Which isn't a bad thing if that's what you're going for.

There were some massive groves of bamboo at the city park in waco, with some stalks probably almost 6" in diameter that you could climb. I imagine it can't be hard to grow from seed, it's a type of grass i think?

I really like the way bamboo looks, and it provides great shade as well as being very useful. They have some of he black kind growing down here and it's gorgeous, but it doesn't turn as dark if it doesn't get a lot of sun.

Good luck

I'm only growing the clumping varieties not the running varieties, there arwe some very striking varieties out there.

Txclosetgrower said:
Never grown it personally, but around here it becomes invasive and owns pretty much everything around where it's planted. Which isn't a bad thing if that's what you're going for.
Good luck
I believe bamboo roots only go a little bit deep into the ground. A heavy plastic liner in the ground might help with invasions. At least that's what i heard and am not familiar.

Be careful of those shoots man. They'll grow right through yer body if you lay on them. They proved it on the Kari Byron Show (aka Mythbusters).

Bamboo is some nasty shit..... Even if it is the clumping type, still be carefull, as it will take over your whole yard!!!! Trust me, i know this from first hand exp.

Cheers

Luke

it can be grown and easily managed - one house I know of near here uses it for a fence.

Want to be really sure of what type you're growing

Both types of bamboo grows wild here(ok, not truly wild, but it's basically invaded and taken over certain areas very well), and they're both a bitch to control. I know folks who've bought a winter house down here that had some bamboo growing in the yard and then they go up north for the summer only to come back to the house 6 or 7 months later and you can't even get in the door of the house because the sh*t grew right up to the house.

OK got a bamboo field from hell across the road from me.If you have the ability to Nuke it when you are done then you are fine.We`ve got bamboo over 60 feet tall here and no way to get rid of it.Damn sure as bad as kudzo in the deep south.

Novacastrian said:
Interesing to say the least....
Interesting and painful. The would seat and tie you down, positioning your ring of fire over a bamboo sprout...the sprout would grow and slowly impail you.

imaguitargod said:
Interesting and painful. The would seat and tie you down, positioning your ring of fire over a bamboo sprout...the sprout would grow and slowly impail you.

:shocked: Whats the fastest growing shoots? I know that some varieties can grow like an inch a day, but what is the fastest?
Iv'e got someone who i would love to try that out on!!:hell:

Novacastrian said:
:shocked: Whats the fastest growing shoots? I know that some varieties can grow like an inch a day, but what is the fastest?
Iv'e got someone who i would love to try that out on!!:hell:

HEhehe, you got me.

No clue on how easy it is to germinate but it sure looks cool. Plus you can cut pieces and make garden stakes out of them.

imaguitargod said:

IGG I think you'd be ok in the seat. I imagine once the shoot hit your sphincter it would turn to charcoal. :onfire:

Back