Charcoal vs Gas, what do you use?

So, do you use gass or charcoal. I use charcoal(mainly because I am allergic to gas ;) ).

I find that there is a skill that comes with charcoal that you don't get with gas. It's more of a play by ear sort of thing that presents a challenge, as opposed to the set it to 350 degrees and wait 15 minutes aspect of gas grills.

I use charcoal too.

i like the taste more and it the bbq feels like more of an event than just cooking.

i do wish i had a gas bbq too for those times where you lose temperature prematurely or you're ina rush.

I use both, depending on the time available and what is being cooked. When using charcoal I only use lump coal though. Coal does give a better flavor, but the gas grill flavor ain't bad. When you get home from work and want to do something quick the gas grill is the answer. On the weekends give me the coal.

I use the grill year round and cook a bunch of different things on it. As the saying goes "If you can eat it, you can grill it".

I use charcoal ( if I'm not using wood) but I'm picky about what I use. This is what I prefer:

B&B Charcoal

What ever you do don't buy that stuff Whole foods sells. My wife brought home a bag of it and it sucks. The heat lasts about 5 minutes. It's made out of scrap sideboard, fer chrissakes!

As for the gas verses charcoal debate...I say wood, then charcoal then gas. I think gas certianly has it's applications...like when you're in a hurry.

Unless you're smoking, gas is cleaner, quicker and better for the environment.

Personal, my biggest concern is the carcinogens in charcoal and wood; so I go with gas.

T

When I'm about to burn a recently slaughtered creature of Nature, and consume the said critter in a gluttonous frenzy after it has been cooked, I'm not really concerned about the ozone layer.

Tina Brooks said:
Of course not... that would be unamurrican. :P

hehe

If feasting on grilled animal and not caring the little Spotted Owl got smashed by a Chevy, than so be it, American doesn't sound too bad to me. The only thing trees are good for anyway is for putting up a tree stand, and making fires so as to cook Nature's little creatures. Buildings can be made of stone.

DEFCON Creator said:
If feasting on grilled animal and not caring the little Spotted Owl got smashed by a Chevy, than so be it, American doesn't sound too bad to me. The only thing trees are good for anyway is for putting up a tree stand, and making fires so as to cook Nature's little creatures. Buildings can be made of stone.

American is a great thing to be... IF you're American.

Why am I hearing strains of Yankee Doodle???

T

Charcoal for smoking and grilling. Gas gives off water vapor. I'm an extreme foodie (!), so taste and aroma is everything to me. For long-time smoking, I like to have a separate pit/grill to 'start' charcoal, to burn off impurities in the Kingsford and to 'get the smoke out' of the natural 'lump' charcoal. These coals are mostly for heat. I then add mesquite, hickory, apple, cherry, etc. chunks (not little shavings-too acrid!) that have been soaked, sometimes in fruit juices and/or cider vinegar. This allows a slow smolder. If the chunks start to burn too fast, I spray them lightly with the 'soak'. (you can smell it blocks away) Just last week I smoked a pan of chocolate habanero sauce with a mix of apple and cherry woods soaked in apple juice and a little apple cider vinegar. OOOEEE! Well, there it is, CHARCOAL. brookthecook

I prefer gas, Charcoal is fine ... wood chips are better (at least for smoking) - I just don't like the smell of lighter fluid...

(Link removed by moderator, it is against the rules to link to another forum).

I've always used charcole, mesquite being my favorite to cook with. When I smoke ribs I use mesquite for the heat and add hickory for the smoke. It adds a great flavor.

Trashman

Back