12 most common beer myths

Myth number 1 is actually a fact.
Guinness in Australia is made in Australia, using predominately Australian ingredients and equipment that probably differs from that used in Ireland. Australian Malt in particular will not be the same as English (Irish???) Malt - both grown and malted differently, and probably a different variety of barley also.

dreamboat

I've never even heard most of those "myths". They sound more like things 4th graders would tell each other.

However, I'm not convinced that #4 isn't true!

I know for a fact number 8 is 100% grade "A" bullshit because thats how myself and ALL of my drinking friends roll....and have been for 20 or so years now.

Although, like Chuk said, i believe #4 to be true. If it wasn't, then why does it taste like piss? And i think #11 DEFINITELY should be true.

Sickmont said:
I know for a fact number 8 is 100% grade "A" bullshit because thats how myself and ALL of my drinking friends roll....and have been for 20 or so years now.

But how about this: I norwegian we have the same kind of saying, but it's the other way around :) And we think that drinking in that order helps. So I think it's just psycological.

“Beer before liquor, never sicker - liquor before beer, in the clear”

I actually believe this one. Why you ask? If you have a belly full of beer you can drink a lot more liquor before you feel the effects of the alcohol - and by then you might already have had to much.

Drink the liquor first until you get a good buzz and keep the buzz going with beer.

LUCKYDOG said:
What about drinking alot of beer will give you boobies.... or is that touch the boobies? I love boobies

I drink a lot of beer and I'm not massive, pert, but not at all large. I bet the stupid rule only works for men, what a bummer.

rainbowberry said:
I drink a lot of beer and I'm not massive, pert, but not at all large. I bet the stupid rule only works for men, what a bummer.
Ya, that's the one myth that says you'll get fat by drinking beer. It's the lazieness that causes you to get fat/bigger boobies.

I have my own way of trying to get boobies that I am working on right now....it's called working out.

Sickmont said:
Although, like Chuk said, i believe #4 to be true. If it wasn't, then why does it taste like piss?

It tastes like piss for 2 reasons:

1) It's just a generally shitty beer to begin with, that only sells because high school/college kids think drinking corona makes you cool.

2) Even if it didn't blow balls, it would by the time you get to drink it. This is because it is packaged in a clear bottle. The reason beers are shipped in dark bottles is that light causes adverse reactions within the beer, resulting in "skunking" or a skunked beer.

When Light Meets Beer (read this):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022700312.html

imaguitargod said:
Ya, that's the one myth that says you'll get fat by drinking beer. It's the lazieness that causes you to get fat/bigger boobies.

I have my own way of trying to get boobies that I am working on right now....it's called working out.

I'm lazy but I'm still not that big, surely if I worked out I'd just gain muscle, not nice bouncing boobies?

*please don't tell me I'll get bigger by working out, that would be my worst nightmare*

Txclosetgrower said:
It tastes like piss for 2 reasons:

1) It's just a generally shitty beer to begin with, that only sells because high school/college kids think drinking corona makes you cool.

2) Even if it didn't blow balls, it would by the time you get to drink it. This is because it is packaged in a clear bottle. The reason beers are shipped in dark bottles is that light causes adverse reactions within the beer, resulting in "skunking" or a skunked beer.

When Light Meets Beer (read this):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022700312.html

Oh, i'm keenly aware of number 2.....i'm a big fan of Kalik and Carib and i have to be anal about freshness dates because they're packaged in clear bottles as well.

Sickmont said:
Oh, i'm keenly aware of number 2.....i'm a big fan of Kalik and Carib and i have to be anal about freshness dates because they're packaged in clear bottles as well.

I cant confirm the veracity of this statement, but i've always heard that it only takes a couple minutes or hour of light to skunk a beer. It just generally seems like lack of caring on the brewer's part to continue to use clear glass despite this fact.

this is one article that mentions the few minutes to an hour statement:
http://www.chow.com/stories/10573

and this is a better written article on the subject too:

http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/skunked_beer.html

Txclosetgrower said:
I cant confirm the veracity of this statement, but i've always heard that it only takes a couple minutes or hour of light to skunk a beer. It just generally seems like lack of caring on the brewer's part to continue to use clear glass despite this fact.

I always thought it was an hour or so of direct light to do it, but i could be wrong.

Sickmont - I liked your last avatar better. It wasn't as sick:-) But the new one does fit well in this thread.

Old one, but does anyone know why american beer is like sex in a canoe?

MrArboc said:
Old one, but does anyone know why american beer is like sex in a canoe?
American micro brew is AMZING!!! Macro brew...now that's sex in a canoe... Although, if it was offered, I'd totally do it in a canoe.
rainbowberry said:
I'm lazy but I'm still not that big, surely if I worked out I'd just gain muscle, not nice bouncing boobies?

*please don't tell me I'll get bigger by working out, that would be my worst nightmare*
Nonono, they get smaller if you do alot of working out that focuses on the chest area. Your safe RB.....have I mentioned we've only seen face shots of you yet? There's no long shots. :lol:

imaguitargod said:
American micro brew is AMZING!!! Macro brew...now that's sex in a canoe... Although, if it was offered, I'd totally do it in a canoe.

Well, I guess it's like comparing Tabasco Sauce with Defcon Sauces (not that I've ever had the chanse to try Defcon). Problem is that few people have the chanse to try American Micro Brews or Defcon even if they live in america. American macro brews like Coors and Bud don't deserve to be called beer.

Still, there are European macro brews that are excellent. Not perfect, but mouthwatering and not to hard to find even for an american. I could buy Carlsberg att my lokal 7/11 when I lived on Long Island. I was 17 and looked 15 but that is at totally different discussion.

We don't want to get started om european micro brews, do we? Or american whiskey - you dont even spell it right! :-)

Passes MrArboc a Pint (uk size) of Tangle Foot :)

and with cubes of Stilton with Naga Mama dip
blame StoneyBridge

Tippy

Back