• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Asparagus

Has anyone grown asparagus? I'm just looking at some seeds I recieved from Luigi(thanks again eh) and wondering whether I will try growing these or not. Honestly I don't even know if I like asparagus. I've had it in an omlette and it was good but I don't think I liked cream of asparagus soup(only tried canned.) I kind of like the idea of having a perrenial vegetable, and I've also read that they have all male hybrids which greatly increase production. Any thoughts?

Doesn't it take years to produce the eatable stork???

I love Asparagus and would love to grow it, but my above comment has always stopped me... I could and am be very wrong..

moyboy said:
Doesn't it take years to produce the eatable stork???

I love Asparagus and would love to grow it, but my above comment has always stopped me... I could and am be very wrong..

Grandma TB who lived south of Detroit, had a big asparagus patch on the farm. She would pick in the spring and all the way up till winter time. The asparagus I have seen at the garden store comes in root balls that you plant a few feet apart and from there they spread out much like carpet grass. I for one love the stuff.

Cheers, TB.

I grew up in an area where asparagus was grown in big fields. My dad grew it in his garden 30 years ago. It's a great plant and I love to eat asparagus with potatoes, cooked ham and melted butter. Some like it with sauce Hollandaise.
You need a sandy soil and for a harvest worth wile you need at least 900 square feet or 100 square meters. And, as moyboy said, you need a lot of time. After planting it it has to grow three to five years without harvesting anything. As soon as you grow it for harvesting you pile up "beams" ("beam beds") of soil 1 to 1,5 feet high with a path between the beams (German: "Spargelbalken", "Balkenbeet") in early spring. About beginning to mid of may the first tips of asparagus peep out of the soil. You then dig along the stem with two fingers of one hand and cut the stem as deep in the ground as you can reach it with a long knife. Then you close the beam again with a trowel. In Germany traditionally June 21st is the last day of harvesting asparagus. After that the plants are supposed to grow out until fall. Then you cut down the plants, compost them and wait until next spring. I don't remember exactly how long asparagus plants are good producers. But it's only a few years.

imaguitargod said:
: sits infront of piano :

"Asparagus, Asparagus
Put it on your table.
Asparagus, Asparagus
Will make you feel more able"

Reminds me of a certain episode of Alf.... or was it Family Ties...

I have never grown it but my father did and it seems to me that the first year you let it grow and go to seed and then the next year is when you can start to harvest it. Thats what I can remember of it and the soil was a black sandy loam real loose. Plus after the first year we had tons of it Good luck

Yeah when was your first?

*Iggy looks in mirror first thing in the morning*

"God i look like Alf!!"

Novacastrian said:
Yeah when was your first?
"Heeeeeerrre Lucky, Lucky, Lucky!"
Sid that in TB's tasty burrito thread in reasponse to his query of if I have a cat I can use instead of shrimp.

Novacastrian said:
*Iggy looks in mirror first thing in the morning*

"God i look like Alf!!"
HA! Although my nose isn't that big. :lol:

i wish i could grow some. raw asparagus dipped in hummus is awesome snacking material.

plus it makes your pee and semen smell funny and i hear it tastes funny as well.

Mmmm, asparagus!

My favorite is to roll the asparagus in melted butter, and then roll them in grated parmesan cheese and finally roll them in bacon. Then bake them in the oven. Yum!

I have an asparagus bed and they pretty much take care of themselves. If you plant from seed though it will take about 4 years before you can really get anything to harvest. They will grow before then but you can't pick them without damaging the roots. I planted mine from plants that I got at the local store and harvested very little the second maybe a couple weeks worth then the third year about a month and after that you can harvest for about 8 weeks. after that you have to let the plants grow to ferns so that they concentrate all thier energy to the roots for the following season. some people cut the ferns when they die and turn brown but I leave mine until spring thaw then cut em off and add an inch of soil and fertilize. They will be the first thing you eat out of the garden every year. I also give them ferts in Oct. The hardest part is keeping the bed weed free.

Dale

Back