• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Doing the Wang Thang

The mood hit me last night but it took til today to get it done. Had a craving for some yard bird, some spicy yard bird. So I picked up a package of wings and went to work.

I like mine with a little breading. So I mix flour and powders of garlic and onion, couple shakes of Lawry's, fresh cracked black pepper and salt. That goes into a gallon ziploc bag and becomes one. Cut and rinse the wings, dry 'em off then into the ziploc for a round of shakin'. Get them all done, knock off the excess and into the fridge for an hour. Can't skip the fridge step, sets the breading so it doesn't come of the skin and helps to keep it thin, I don't like too much breading.

Take the wings out of the fridge and back into the ziploc shaker bag. Yep, two times. Shake it good baby then knock the excess of and into the 350 degree oil for about 9 minutes. They come out looking like this:

IMG_3603re.jpg

You can eat them just like that if you like, I know I do.

Get a bit of the grease off then into another bowl and pour the sauce on. I heat my sauce first, cold sauce tends to make the wing soggy. Tonight I used Cookies wing sauce. A two on the 1-10 heat scale at best. Got kids in the house. Besides the good stuff is still coming. I added a couple pats of butter to the sauce too to cool it down even more. Here's what it looks like when it gets plated up:

IMG_3599re.jpg

Here's a close up for no reason at all:

IMG_3600re.jpg

Alright got the kids fed, now it's my turn. I grab my trusty pepper shaker that has my current favorite powder mix, a Hot Paper Lantern/Trinidad Congo/Red Savina mix and start shaking it into the sauce pot. Here comes the next batch of wings out of the deep fryer. Get rid of a bit of the grease, into the sauce bowl, pour the sauce on, stir and plate 'em up. Here's what they ended up looking like:

IMG_3613re.jpg

Ahhhh much better. We've hit a five on the heat scale and I'm quite content. There will be no leftovers tonight.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.

Happy New Year all.

You won't mind if I pick mine off the fourth pic down will you?
I like it hot too. Reminds me I haven't had any wings in a spell. This weekend maybe. Everyone on the THP inspires me to do something crazy in the Blues Kitchen. Your mission has been accomplished Patrick!

Cheers, TB.

they look very good. i too made them the past couple of days. used the wild wings spicy garlic - added a touch of Defcon 1 to up the heat. turned out great. wings.....now i want more.

Thanks folks.

My son got into wings a while back when him and some friends went to Buffalo Wild Wings. I let him drag me out there one night and they weren't bad. I think we went with the medium at the time. Hot enough for me then. The son kept wanting to eat there and as much as I'd like to think money is no object that wouldn't be the truth. So I did some work at home and have come up with a wing that he likes.

I usually have wings at least one time a week. Just had some defcon 1's last night. Woah! Good stuff. I may try that light breading method next time, looks pretty good!

Let me know how they turn out Wild Man. If you look at the first pic again you can see how thin the coating is and those were done twice. The key is letting them sit for 45-60 minutes after coating and before frying.

Did the wife get her wings that night AJ?

Back