• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Smoked brisket chili

This is my first post, but this subject stirred me up a bit so here it goes.

When I make chili, I start with a nice brisket that I hot smoke on the grill. While I am at it, I usually do the same to the chili’s. From there I slow cook it with the normal stuff: chili's, cumin, garlic, onion, and a can or two of diced tomatoes. IF I use beans, I insist on Pinto's, and not from a can either. I slow cook for 6-8 hours so as a result the softer canned beans would turn to paste. It’s the same reason for the diced tomatoes as a preference over sauce- it just ends up better at the end. Some not-so-normal ingredients that I use (and I am sure some of you may as well), are baker’s chocolate and a bit of brewed coffee. All together it's a lot of flavors. There are the savory flavors, the sweet ones, the hot ones, and the dark smoked flavor of course ... for extra heat and something special I use Salemme Pepper. Near the end of the simmering I pull the beef apart and trim off the fat before returning it to simmer a bit longer. The result is something different, and I think that it's better. I usually get a very positive response from chili lovers when they try it. The texture of the beef is the big advantage to using pulled brisket over ground or chopped beef. If you follow my lead, just be aware that a smoked brisket is going to bring a BBQ sauce sort of flavor to it unless you get the spices right, so stay away from a lot of sweeter stuff.

Sounds great! Welcome to THP.

First off Welcome to THP

I do something similar and a smoked brisket or pork butt is fantastic in chili. If I dont have brisket on hand I will use a beef roast in a slowcooker with cumin, chilipowder, onions, liquid smoke, red wine and some cilantro overnight or until I can easily pull it apart and shred then I reduce the liquid and add to the chili as needed. Im not much for chocolate in my chili but I do use a good heavy stout. Matter of fact I should make some for the games this weekend!

Smoked brisket chili is so good. I do it very much like you wildman but I always use some beer and lots of chiles.

LUCKYDOG said:
... Im not much for chocolate in my chili but I do use a good heavy stout.

Stout is good too, for sure. I just can rarely part with my beer so easily. Chocolate is a common ingredient in 'chili powder' and bakers chocolate doesn't taste a thing like a hershey bar. I am not sure if you dislike it from experiance or are thrown off by the word, but I think that it creates a nice subtle 'dark' flavor for the base. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I've had it -- but Im just not a big fan of it although I know a lot people who enjoy it. Perhaps there was to much of it in the one I had because there was a bit of aftertaste that didnt suit me and my beer :lol:

Didnt realize you were from CT where in the 06 are you?

Yeah LD, it's a matter of preferance, and as I said, it should be subtle. If you can actually taste it and say 'hey I taste chocolate' then there is probably way way too much of it. I am in the valley. Is 'the village' greenwich?

No not Greenwich -- Village is something in my neighborhood -- I am in the other valley in Southington -- Down the hill I guess ;) I am close to Sam the Clam's

haha yeah Sam the Clams is a good place to tie one on, been there a few times. I brought my gf one time and she was a little scared though. There can be a rough looking crowd from time to time. :lol:

Welcome Matt....like you haven't heard that a billion times. Brisket chili sounds hot blue and righteous...but dude....
We gotta' have pics. When starting a food thread you are obligated to taunt your fellow THP'ers with outlandish food pics and make them suffer not being able to actually taste it.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Welcome Matt....like you haven't heard that a billion times. Brisket chili sounds hot blue and righteous...but dude....
We gotta' have pics. When starting a food thread you are obligated to taunt your fellow THP'ers with outlandish food pics and make them suffer not being able to actually taste it.

Cheers, TB.

Pictures? No problem.

Stage 1 off the grill, the idea was just to smoke it...a bit too hot that time but hey, not a terrible problem...
Picture112.jpg

Stage 2 - let the meat set overnight, thick smokey juices form.
Picture080.jpg

Stage 3 - Simmered / pulled product. This time added pinto and the GF snuck in some Kidney's. We made up eventually.
Chili-1.jpg

Almost forgot... hey TB! Neener Neener Neeeeneeeer.

GO BIG BLUE!!

Now that IS a hot blue and righteous repost with the pics! The pulled brisket looks like food of the Gods! We have a home for you right here my friend! Your taunts need some work but you will soon learn from one of the masters of the taunt on this forum..perhaps IGG.

Cheers, TB.

Yeah, my heart was not really in the taunting. Keep pushing me though, it couldn't hurt :)

Thanks for the compliments, I know I am in good company here so it is extra appreciated.

Nothing is better than beef cooked on a grill. Mostly nothing anyway. ;)

Never had chili with brisket before, going to have to try this!

Back