• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Anyone Else Like Fresh Boiled Crawfish?

Well, the day I have been waiting for here in north Texas has arrived. I had my first boiled crawfish last night at a local cajun place...

They were absolutely excellent.

The cayenne burn was fantastic...after my first 2 pounds, the corners of my mouth were stinging...mouth was hot, nose was running, sweat pouring...then I had to eat another 2 pounds...then another 2 pounds...

Gotta admit, I love fresh boiled crawfish and they were decent size for first of the season...

Never had them before, but since I like seafood I would at very least try them - what's the closest thing they are similar to? Shrimp?

kinda like shrimp...

Whenever I finish with a crawfish, it looks like a coon has been eating...nothing left but the shells...a lot of people only eat the tails but I eat the lungs, claws, suck the head, then eat the tail...

The spice used to cook them and the combination of the spice and flavor of the crawfish is my favorite meal...

I've always wanted to try them but I guess I really need to travel south for that. Hey AJ, those racoon remains would probably be full of calcium:lol:

Love mudbugs mysef'! I do them up just like AJ. Hey...we're all Tejano's here! I've had racoon before..not bad! Tastes like...possum...or rabbit.

Cheers, TB.

Sickmont said:
If it walks on the bottom and has claws i'm not interested....

Why?....does it remind you of your ex?

Potawie....I had not thought about the shells and calcium...I bet they will let me keep all the leftovers I want.... :lol:

Seriously, do you think the ground up shells would be good for the plants?

I add shrimp and other seafood/egg shells to my compost so it should be alright, you just might have to watch for cats and coons.

AlabamaJack said:
Why?....does it remind you of your ex?
yep.....tastes about the same too:lol:

AlabamaJack said:
Potawie....I had not thought about the shells and calcium...I bet they will let me keep all the leftovers I want.... :lol:

Seriously, do you think the ground up shells would be good for the plants?

POTAWIE said:
I add shrimp and other seafood/egg shells to my compost so it should be alright, you just might have to watch for cats and coons.

I tried the shells thing but i seemed to have better luck using tums.....at least if only for the calcium part

Hell yeah, crawfish rule. As a child one of my best friends and i would go and catch dozens and dozens of the things by hand. We found this spot on the Leon river that runs through Belton where they just hung out in the hundreds.

take em home and have his mom boil 'em up then eat til we were sick

Good times man. Haven't had a mudbug in years, i'll have to see if there's any cajun food round here.

Sickmont said:
yep.....tastes about the same too:lol:

Brother, I take your point, but if your ex tastes as good as some well seasoned mud bugs, I need her number!!

Actually that does sound pretty sick, but I do love some crawfish.

As for bottom dwellers, I'll take scallops, clams, oysters, catfish, skate, or just about anything else that crawls.

I will pass on UNI (sea urchin).

POTAWIE said:

cool beans P....I will start keeping my crawfish leftovers....

Txclosetgrower said:
Good times man. Haven't had a mudbug in years, i'll have to see if there's any cajun food round here.

surely you have a pappadeaux down there...their mudbugs are pretty good but to me they use too much rosemary in the spice...

imaguitargod said:
I've never had crawdads before. I keep meaning to. I also wonder if I'm alergic to them b/c I'm allergic to lobster.....hmmm...

you may very well be allergic then Iggy...Linda's daughter is allergic to lobster too but not shrimp....I just don't know about crawfish sensitivity....I sure as hell am glad I am not allergic to them...

just made up my mind...it is 10:53 am and I am going to eat more crawfish for lunch today....

later all...

Aj, a lot of cajun mixes have tons of salt in them. I don't know if that would stay in the crawfish shells or not, but you might want to exercise a bit of caution before adding it to all of your compost.

There would be lots of seasoning in the shells, but unless your compost is composed of 40% or more of crawfish shells, (which would really stink after a short time) I would not be concerned about salt.

Back