beer Passow Brews: Stone Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

So, I brewed last night and this one really took it out of me, loads of hard work. This was also the biggest grain bill that I’ve had so far so I had to split up the mash into two pots.
mash.jpg

Then I combined the two into one and added the hops (also the most hops I’ve ever had to use).
boil.jpg

And to cool it all down, I continently took the whole thing outside and stuck it in the snow, allowing the 3 degree weather to do it’s work cooling the wart. When all was done, this thing was stiiiiicccckky! I slightly undershot my original gravity (wanted 1.095 but got 1.074) but that’s ok. If you want the recipe, here it is (NOTE: I substituted Magnum for the Galana hops):

Recipe: Stone Bitter Cocoa Oatmeal Stout
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Estimated Color: 41.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.91%
3 lbs 8.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.16 %
1 lbs 12.1 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.08 %
15.2 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.53 %
7.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)Grain 3.02 %
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 3.02%3.8 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.63%
3.8 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)Grain 1.63%
0.25 oz Galena [12.00 %] (90 min)Hops 11.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.40 oz Summit [18.10 %] (60 min)Hops 25.2 IBU
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
3.25 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 15.0 min Misc
White Labs WLP002 (English Ale)
Mash Schedule: 150

Mash at 150F. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops and cocoa at times indicated. Ferment at 66F.

millworkman said:
Nice pots IGG.

Thanks. Their my mom's. 2.5 gallon stainless steel. She says anything else will burn her stovetop, so I have to use those. She also won't let me use larger pots b/c she's afraid it'll break the glass on the stovetop, so I'm stuck only brewing 2.5 gallons of wart instead of 5. But it works.

Ok, I am a little confused. Genetic? Some sort of freak accident from smelling (or snorting) powder (pepper powder included)?

millworkman said:
Ok, I am a little confused. Genetic? Some sort of freak accident from smelling (or snorting) powder (pepper powder included)?

Genetic. My mom's father was born without one, my mom was born without one, I was born with one but it slowly dissappeared until one morning in the 5th grade I woke up and it was completely gone. You can shove a skunk under my nose and I wouldn't be able to smell it. I've been slowly training myself to smell with my fingers and skin via identifing air pressure changes/air thickness but it's no where near a realiable system and I can only identify one to two "smells" that way.

How can you taste with no sense of smell? On the other nostril, I can certainly see why the super hots appeal to you.

imaguitargod said:
Genetic. My mom's father was born without one, my mom was born without one, I was born with one but it slowly dissappeared until one morning in the 5th grade I woke up and it was completely gone. You can shove a skunk under my nose and I wouldn't be able to smell it. I've been slowly training myself to smell with my fingers and skin via identifing air pressure changes/air thickness but it's no where near a realiable system and I can only identify one to two "smells" that way.

In that case...pull my finger!

Cheers, TB.

Pam said:
How can you taste with no sense of smell? On the other nostril, I can certainly see why the super hots appeal to you.
Yep, I really only taste major flavors at the most, subtle flavors are waaaayyyy lost on me. But what's interesting is when I eat something that has peppers in it I get the full range of taste again, subtlties included. There's just something in peppers that does it to me (hence why I eat pepper son everything).

texas blues said:
In that case...pull my finger!
SURE!

: goes to pull TB's finger :

: room clears out :

: pulls TB's finger :

imaguitargod said:
So, I brewed last night and this one really took it out of me, loads of hard work. This was also the biggest grain bill that I’ve had so far so I had to split up the mash into two pots.
mash.jpg

Then I combined the two into one and added the hops (also the most hops I’ve ever had to use).
boil.jpg

QUOTE]

WANT!!! I can't wait to hear hoow it is.

JayT said:
WANT!!! I can't wait to hear hoow it is.
It's going to be probably a month before it's anywhere enar ready (1 week in primary fermentor, then 2 weeks in secondary fermentor, then another week in bottle to carb).
lostmind said:
Man I gotta brew my own beer one day.
There's no better time than now to brew!

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to brew on the stove...

My brewery is in the garage - which is not so great in summer, but makes for a nice place to be when the weather is cooler!

Brew2.jpg

dreamboat

Back