• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Crocodile Bite Habanero Sauce

I was doing the usual look for new sauces in the supermarket today when I saw this sitting there, and figured that I would take the plunge and step up to a habanero sauce, a first for me (excluding Megadeath, as that has its own chernobyl style rating system).

IMG_1677.jpg

To be honest, I had a lot of preconceived notions about what this sauce would be, and a lot of them were wrong. I assumed it was going to be a fruity blend, perhaps a chutney-like flavour, based on the bottle and ingredients before me. Nope, I hit a vinegar artery. The ingredients give it away as being the major ingredient of the product, understandable when you consider the constraints of bottling food, and the need to stop human-destroying-nasties from developing, but this was a little much. Perhaps my fault for not looking at the ingredients first, but if I wanted a vinegar based sauce, I would go for Tabasco, or it local big brother, Firehorse.

The second thing I noticed was that the heat level, although definitely present, was not in the high levels I would expect. My tongue got a nice tingle, my lips were made vaguely aware of the intruder in their midst, but nothing to write home about. It is only when taking far too large a portion than what would be considered safe does my throat get that nice kick I was looking for initially, which is a shame. This sauce could either be a great confidence booster, for those who want to say they chew on habs for breakfast but yet get scared by superhots, or it could be a huge let down for someone looking to play a joke on a less fortunate compatriot. Personally, I can live with the heat level, but I dont think it lives up to the "Very Hot" label on the jar.

As for the rest of the flavour, I thought it was decent. I got a lot of spice initially, I think I could taste nutmeg, and I got the sugar as well, but it was nice that it wasnt sickly sweet, just good and mellow. There was a fruity taste to it, nothing I could nail down, but just as you started to think it was nice, the vinegar kicks you in the tongue. This much vinegar left me with a heavy taste in my stomach and a sweaty forehead, although that may be from the habs, but I doubt it. Unfortunately.

Overall, I would say its not a bad sauce, but its definitely not what I though I was buying. I am trying to think of when I would use it, and so far burritos, tacos, etc come to mind, possibly a burger but more likely the fries that come with it, I think it would destroy any fish within a 3 mile radius, maybe I could see it working with chicken. I will try some combinations over the next little while and see what I come up with, hopefully I'll surprise myself.

Summary-
Presentation-7/10 Nice clean bottle, looks like a small set-up, quite appealing
Heat-6/10 Not as spicy as I assumed, but not a bad heat overall, doesnt hang around for long at all though. An expensive high?
Flavour-5/10 Has some good points, but just too much vinegar for me

Nice 1 mcgoo.

Do you still have the bottle?

Manufacturer details? looks like... Chilli Harvest Australia. Where are they based?

Thanks
RS

Yes very nice review indeed, thanks for taking the time to do this for us :)

Now i know to steer clear!!

Good stuff mate..You'll have to try some of my Hab concentrate when you come round. 90% hab, lemon and other bits and pieces.

ring sting said:
Nice 1 mcgoo.

Do you still have the bottle?

Manufacturer details? looks like... Chilli Harvest Australia. Where are they based?

Thanks
RS

It is made by Country Harvest Australia, based in Maleny, Qld, and their website is http://www.countryharvestaus.com/. Looks like they got some awards 10 years, ago, nothing since.

Scorpion said:
Good stuff mate..You'll have to try some of my Hab concentrate when you come round. 90% hab, lemon and other bits and pieces.

Looking forward to it :hell:

So far I have found-it kills eggs, it doesnt work with burgers, havent tried fish, was alright on some wings, but the best so far was as a salad dressing, with some good olive oil. Somewhat surprising, but still good. Put some in a stir fry the other night, along with some fresh orange habs, but didnt really add much to the flavour. The habs added 10 times more heat to the dish, not what I though would happen.

Back