• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Putting hot peppers into scrambled eggs

I love cutting up the long green hot peppers and one (or two) orange Hab that I get at the local supermarket, lighting cooking them in melted butter, then throwing in scrambled eggs and making a hot omelet. Anyone else like doing that??

Yep, minus the butter. I like stuffing omelets as well.
The only real noticeable difference is probably me using JalapeƱos.

I sautee some onion, garlic & hot peppers in olive oil, then throw the eggs in and keep scrambling. Swear, with extra virgin olive oil > butter. MMMm

Txclosetgrower said:
I sautee some onion, garlic & hot peppers in olive oil, then throw the eggs in and keep scrambling. Swear, with extra virgin olive oil > butter. MMMm
That's what I do! DUDE!!!

I do the same, except usually also adding some garlic. :D

A yummer varietion is using 50/50 EVOO and butter for a nice flavor.

I just dice the peppers up and stir them in after the eggs are done. I like the crispiness of the fresh pepper against the softness of the egg.

You fry in olive oil? Don't you find the taste... horrible... after it has been heated up, or do you fry @ low temperatures?

MrArboc said:
You fry in olive oil? Don't you find the taste... horrible... after it has been heated up, or do you fry @ low temperatures?

Hotpeppa said:
i second that...

you should nt really fry in olive oil...

it takes any benefits out of using olive oil.

You are both crazy. EVOO rules for sauteeing things. Unless you're cooking over high heat you're not going to burn the oil.

Plus, the flavor of the oil goes great with eggs.

And I sautee the veggies over med med-low for eggs. And not for long either, just til they barely start to soften. You don't wanna scramble eggs over high anyway.

I fry in ordinary cooking oil or butter, if I want the taste of olive oil I'll drip it on after cooking. Much nicer and a whole lot cheaper:)

peter pepper said:
i sometimes go with some giardiniera (already has oil), onions, and green peppers.

Heh, I had to google that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardiniera

Giardiniera is an Italian or Italian-American relish of pickled vegetables in vinegar or oil.

Common vegetables in the Italian version, also called sotto aceti, include onions, celery, zucchini, carrots and cauliflower, pickled vegetables in red- or white-wine vinegar. It is typically eaten as an antipasto, or with salads.

However, in Chicago, giardiniera is a condiment, typically used as a topping on Italian beef sandwiches. It's commonly made with sport peppers and some combination of other assorted vegetables, such as bell peppers, olives, celery, pimentos, carrots and cauliflower and sometimes crushed red pepper flakes, all marinated in vegetable oil, olive oil, soybean oil or any combination of the three oils.

Interesting..though pickled stuff sounds a tad odd for scrambled eggs. Then again, who hasn't eaten pickled Jalas in a breakfast scramble eh?

-QS

Txclosetgrower said:

Same here, only I use butter. I do not like the taste of sauteed olive oil.

Back