• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Goji-Berry

Has anybody here grown the Goji-Berry? Has anybody here used it in hot food, maybe in hot sauce? I want to try them this year and would appreciate to share your experience.

382px-Illustration_Lycium_barbarum0.jpg

Grown them for a whole year... got no fruit. POTAWIE grew them for three years and no fruit...
They sure taste good, though. kinda like raisins when dry.

I haven't grown them or had them in hot food. I eat them raw wiht a trail mix.But i have a boatload at home, they sell them at the Chinatown here for dirt cheap. Sounds like a nice hotsauce project idea, i'll try it out and let you know how it is.

Any ideas for a recipe?

UnNatural said:
I haven't grown them or had them in hot food. I eat them raw wiht a trail mix.But i have a boatload at home, they sell them at the Chinatown here for dirt cheap. Sounds like a nice hotsauce project idea, i'll try it out and let you know how it is.

Any ideas for a recipe?

I could imagine to combine them with fruity pepper varieties. Maybe orange hab or fatalii or aji pineapple or lemon drop. Or 7 Pot? Maybe a pinch of ginger? A tablespoon of honey?

Armadillo said:
I could imagine to combine them with fruity pepper varieties. Maybe orange hab or fatalii or aji pineapple or lemon drop. Or 7 Pot? Maybe a pinch of ginger? A tablespoon of honey?

I like the sound of that. I'm going to go with:
Orange habs
Aji Criolla Sella
Fresh ginger
Honey
Lemon zest

UnNatural said:
I like the sound of that. I'm going to go with:
Orange habs
Aji Criolla Sella
Fresh ginger
Honey
Lemon zest

I hope you will also like the taste!:lol: Please report! I will have to wait for enough Gojis and own peppers.

Hotpeppa said:
what do they taste like fresh ?

can you describe the fruit ?

I only had that one dried fruit I ordered for keeping the seeds. It was sweet, fruity with a slight aftertaste of black tea and honey.

I want to grow it because it has lots of minerals, antioxidants, vitamins and trace elements. It's said to be the best anti-aging fruit recently found.

And I liked the taste of the dried fruit.

I LOVE goji berries. Unfortunately they're 14.99/lb here.....but they look just like dried cranberries which are only 4/lb so I've eaten quite a few.

Omri said:
Grown them for a whole year... got no fruit. POTAWIE grew them for three years and no fruit...
They sure taste good, though. kinda like raisins when dry.

imaguitargod said:
Not the first year. They supposably dont' fruit until the second year.

I found a few informations. They start producing fruit in the second or third year and become prolific in the fourth year. I will start them from seeds anyway. But maybe I also can find a third year plant in a nursery.

I looked in one of the natural food stores here on the way home tonight...you got me curious. Sadly, the only ones they had were milk chocolate covered. I wondered if the health benefits of the Goji berries would wipe out the bad-for-you aspects of the milk chocolate, creating a health neutral food.

Too bad they weren't dipped in dark chocolate.

Pam said:
I looked in one of the natural food stores here on the way home tonight...you got me curious. Sadly, the only ones they had were milk chocolate covered. I wondered if the health benefits of the Goji berries would wipe out the bad-for-you aspects of the milk chocolate, creating a health neutral food.

Too bad they weren't dipped in dark chocolate.

Grow some, dip your own...;)

I've been growing goji plants for 4 years now and not even a flower. They grow many "leggy" shoots for me and sort of bush out but never grow well. I've tried to support them well since they are said to often grow like vines but no real luck:(

Back