• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Ribs and Poppers 01-24-09

Well, today will be the first day I have ever tried to Smoke Ribs and Jalapeno Poppers.

I will be cooking throughout the day and posting pics at various stages of the process.

The first thing I did this morning was to pick a few dehydrated pods to use as spice in my dry rub...a few Poblanos, 2 Dorset Nagas, 2 Trinidad Scorpions, 3 Consteno Amarillo, a hand full of super chilis and some trinidad perfume...

012409a001.jpg

then ground it up in a coffee grinder....nice color to me...

012409a004.jpg

Damn, this stuff is hot :mouthonfire:

Next step is to assemble the other ingredients for the dry rub...

back in a bit with what other things I am going to use...

Rub is Complete

Made a rub out of:

1/2 Cup Spanish Paprika
3 Tablespoons of the Spice I just made
4 Tablespoons Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon White Pepper
6 Tablesppons Garlic Powder
3 Tablespoons Onion Powder
6 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Mexican Oregano
2 1/2 Tablespoons Dried Thyme

012409b002.jpg

This stuff taste delicious...

Next step...de-skin the ribs and apply a liberal coat of rub to them...

Back in a bit...

I'm back...

OK I have the ribs...

012409c001.jpg

Deskinned

012409c002.jpg

Rubbed and marinating for 4 hours...

012409c004.jpg

Next update when I start the smoker about 11:30 am CST...

Now that looks really good AJ. I thought you might add some brown sugar to it I like the flavor of that in the ribs. When I do mine I smoke them or grill for about 45 minutes or so and really keep flipping them that way the juices stays within the meat and oh yea if you can put a tray under them with little water and catch the drippings as its cooking about when they done take pan out and put you some pork n beans in there oh my goodness my mouth is watering now. Then when I see ribs almost done wrap them up real tight with alumnium foil and finish them off. AJ my friend I know that you are licking your lips saying wish they were done but they willl be so good esp with one or two shiners. I can't wait too see how they turn out. Just keep the temp going and watchful eye. Good Grilling

the plan is to swab them with a home made sauce the last hour or so and that will have some brown sugar in it and some honey...sauce recipe will be coming when I figure out what I am going to put in it...

thanks for the tip on the pan to catch the juices too...I get that will make good beans...

I am putting a full pan of water...said I would have to check it in about 3 hours...and add more if needed...

just geting ready to fire the charcoal off...been trying to figure out a "finishing" sauce...Linda said, hey, why don't we use the christmas gift our kids gave us for Christmas...like a dummy, I said "What Sauce"....she went to the pantry and pulled this out....we opened it and tasted it and it is a great BBQ sauce...only thing I saw that I didn't really like was the Sodium Benzoate, but that is cool.....

012409d001.jpg

012409d002.jpg

012409d003.jpg

Next pic...Charcoal getting ready...

Now that's something I have never been accused of... :lol:

by the way...trip to Nellis is in cememt...

charcoal burning down...this is lump oak charcoal

012409e001.jpg

yup certain...March 30 - April 2

ribs smokin'....12:30 PM....three half racks on top, three half racks on bottom

012409f001.jpg

The plan is to change bottom and top on the hour...do you guys think that is necessary?

Sweet! I'll see you then. In my little smoker I always rotate the ribs. The reason plumb evades me. I guess I just want to ensure an even smoke throughout. Those look fantastic!

Cheers, TB.

Ribs cooked quicker than I thought - 3 hrs and they are done...

012409g001.jpg

slathered...

012409g003.jpg

corns boiling in the water pan...

getting ready to stuff some jalapenos and smoke them too..

AlabamaJack said:
]

getting ready to stuff some jalapenos and smoke them too..

Good call. I don't have anything better to do today than sit around and bitch if you don't make poppers :lol:

Good call on making the ribs 1st though, if you smoked poppers first you wouldn't even have room for ribs.

BUt damnit now I'm hungry...and all i have is some frozen chicken.

Blast your hide AJ! Just when I'm trying to change up my neanderthal meat diet! Today I went to the hippy grocery store (Whole Foods) and got some gorgeous salmon for tonight and now you post those rib pictures! I'm cryin' and salivatin' at the same time! Now post the popper pics so I can rationalize drinking both of the Chimay Red bottles I bought as well. If lovin' the 'que is wrong...I don't wanna' be right.

Cheers, TB.

Txclosetgrower said:
Good call. I don't have anything better to do today than sit around and bitch if you don't make poppers :lol:

texas blues said:
Now post the popper pics so I can rationalize drinking both of the Chimay Red bottles I bought as well. If lovin' the 'que is wrong...I don't wanna' be right.

Cheers, TB.

OK...

here's the prepped poppers....mexican 4 cheese and pink salmon stuffing with some tony chacheres extra spicy...

012409h001.jpg

And about 3 minutes ago...japs smokin'

012409h002.jpg

Figure I will give them another 8 minutes...remember?...dinner is served at 5 PM CST

back in a few with the final product and a plate full of food....

texas blues said:
Blast your hide AJ! Just when I'm trying to change up my neanderthal meat diet! Today I went to the hippy grocery store (Whole Foods) and got some gorgeous salmon for tonight and now you post those rib pictures! I'm cryin' and salivatin' at the same time! Now post the popper pics so I can rationalize drinking both of the Chimay Red bottles I bought as well. If lovin' the 'que is wrong...I don't wanna' be right.

Cheers, TB.

MM chimay.....I got a chimay goblet a while back and i love the thing, just looking at it makes me crave belgian beer.

Back