• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Sowing strawberry seeds

Anyone try this, especially the Alpine variety? These things are about the size of a needle point. I sifted dirt, dried it completely in the microwave, sprinkled seeds (about 1/8 of a teaspoon) on it, then mixed it for a few minutes. I then sprinkled it over the top of a box of potting soil, maybe 8-10 layers. Then added a very small amount of potting soil to cover the dirt/seeds.

I'll be curious to see if I got them mixed up good enough.

Mike

I've grown them before but they are so small and not really that productive, I really prefer larger types. I'll likely be starting some "frescas" in Feb or March

alawn said:
I planted strawberry seeds last year. They wont have any fruit until the second year.

I've read in a few places that they will produce a small crop of berries this year and then all year long in succeeding years. I hope so, even if it is only a pint of red and a pint of white.

Mike

Alpine strawberries and frescas should definitely produce the first year from seed. I usually just buy strawberry plants, they are cheap and grow quickly

The ones I planted didn't produce any fruit but I didn't plant a lot. I don't know what type of strawberry they were. They will definitely produce a lot more the second year. They take a while to get very big.

POTAWIE said:
Alpine strawberries and frescas should definitely produce the first year from seed. I usually just buy strawberry plants, they are cheap and grow quickly

Heretic! Buy plants?

Growing from seed is half the fun, plus I intend to be the one selling plants as well as planting them!

alawn said:
The ones I planted didn't produce any fruit but I didn't plant a lot. I don't know what type of strawberry they were. They will definitely produce a lot more the second year. They take a while to get very big.

Maybe different plants (hoping!). These are suppose to only get 6-8" tall and do not produce runners.

Mike

There are very few types of strawberry that are normally propagated from seed, usually plants are taken from runners which are often sold quite inexpensively. Alpine strawberries however are a runner-less variety which is very easy to start from seed but fruits are very tiny.
I bought 50 regular strawberry plants for a dollar one year, they produced great the first year, and within 2 years they had taken over my whole garden, and the berries were huge. I've since tilled most of them in to re-gain garden space:(

Have never grown strawberries from seed, some things I just go buy the plants and this would be one of them. Hey that doesn't make me right, if you have good luck might have to try it some time.

POTAWIE said:
I bought 50 regular strawberry plants for a dollar one year, they produced great the first year, and within 2 years they had taken over my whole garden, and the berries were huge. I've since tilled most of them in to re-gain garden space:(

Potawie,

I couldn't buy 50 seeds for a dollar, let alone live plants in a container. :cool:

Yeah, I've heard some berries can take over a garden in a hurry, that's one reason I opted for the Alpines. Plus, they are everbearing and not June bearing. I have about 20 feet on the side of the house I'm going to put a raised garden along. Full sun from mid-day on plus the dirt should help insulate the house (the foundation is rocks/mortar). And if I don't sell many plants, I'll probably add a tier of hanging baskets or planter for more berries.

Mike

Back