• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Growing Help

I was wondering if someone can help me with my growing this year. Its my first time growing from seed and I'm younger so its a definitely first for me.Anyway, I would want to only start a few. I would be starting them using a CFL for light along with natural light when possible. what is the time for the light? 12/12? Thanks. Any and all help would be good.

Monster,

Anywhere from 12/12 to 24 hrs. a day. Lots of people like 16/8 though AJ posted an article recently that proposed that anything more than 14 hours a day (after 5-7 weeks of constant light) is counterproductive. Last year, I went with 16/8 the entire time and had nice plants.

Note: I'm finding that no matter how much or how strong the light is, toms tend to be leggy when they sprout. Once my plants get about four inches tall, I plan on replanting them into deeper cells, all the way to their bottom leaves.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Note: I'm finding that no matter how much or how strong the light is, toms tend to be leggy when they sprout. Once my plants get about four inches tall, I plan on replanting them into deeper cells, all the way to their bottom leaves.

Mike

Tomatoes will form roots from the stem if it's buried. I've always bought my tomato plants, never started them from seed, but when I plant mine into the container i bury all but the top 2-4 leaves. They seem to love it.

MonsterPunch said:
Hey,

Thanks for the tips.Do u have any seeds u can spare to me?

Thanks!

I've got seeds from last year that I'm not growing this year. No promises but they should sprout.

White Beauty (Snowball)
Hawaiian Pineapple
Large Pink Bulgarian
German Pink
Cherokee Chocolate
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Sprite
Green Sausage
Red Zebra
Beefsteak
Delicious
Jersey Giant

Anywhere from 5-50 seeds per packet, most have more than 10. If you want them, PM me with your addy.

Mike

MAN there ya go nick... you got the hook up. nice of you word wiz.. Now I have to give him some help...

haha just playing.

( btw monsterpunch is my little cousin )

How old are you monster? Just curious, i love seeing younger people getting into the whole gardening scene. It's a very rewarding hobby :)

Hes going to be twelve. he seen my peppers here at home and that was it haha

he doesnt like peppers though so hes going tomato route. But I told him to join so he can do his own research on how to and all. sure I could have told him what to do, but mind as well teach em young..

I'm glad to see someone get into growing plants. It's odd - when I was young we raised toms, potatoes, green beans, cucumbers, peas, carrots, beets. A PITA but now I can't wait for spring. What a difference a few decades make!

Mike

Back