• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Let's Make Cebiche

As you all probably know by now, my wife is from Peru so making cebiche comes natural to her. Its a traditional dish from her home of Peru. This is just pretty good stuff and for those of you wanting to try something a little different, this is for you! We had tried making it here in the USA a couple times before but this was the best by far. We have learned that freshwater fish makes for a not so good cebiche!

You start out by squeezing limes and collecting the juice in a pan like this. You also crush up several garlic cloves and add to the lime juice
2uq2oar.jpg

You now need to chop up some onions, cilantro and celery and of course cut up the fish filets into small bites
14y4kgg.jpg

Next slice a red or orange bell pepper, remove the seeds and place with just a little water in the blender and make a smooth "paste"
zxvg8x.jpg

Now add all of that to the lime juice
2v2cl8o.jpg

Now add sliced onions on top of the fish and shrimp or any kind of seafood for that matter, and let everything set for 30 minutes to an hour!
km4j6.jpg

Serve with a sweet potato, potato, lettuce and even corn on the cob. In Peru they add some hot sauce to this so me being the wannabee Peruvian with a love for the hot and spicy, I am quite liberal with this lol.
This is the most popular dish along the coast of Peru where they have a constant supply of fresh fish from the Pacific Ocean. Y'all need to try this for sure!
oaysya.jpg

Awesome! I had crappy results last time i tried to make ceviche. What fish is best to use?

I'm going to give this a shot again soon.

Txclosetgrower said:
Awesome! I had crappy results last time i tried to make ceviche. What fish is best to use?

I'm going to give this a shot again soon.
Well, we are still in the "experimental stages" of making it here in the US but have reached the conclusion that it needs to be a salt water fish. This was triplata. We are planning to try it with different types of salt water fish until we get it figured out. Down in Peru they have many types of fish they use but we are somewhat limited up here since we dont live near the coast and all.
This cebiche was actually as good as any I had tried down in Peru.
I would like to make it with scallops sometime. Squid is also great in cebiche!

BrianS said:
This cebiche was actually as good as any I had tried down in Peru.
I would like to make it with scallops sometime. Squid is also great in cebiche!

Scallops should be seared! Just a bit of salt and pepper and butter.

cheezydemon said:
FRESH is probably most key. Nice damn pics!
Thanks and yes you are correct. Unfortunately we dont have fresh seafood in these parts. Its ashame that fresh water fish wont work

BrianS said:
Thanks and yes you are correct. Unfortunately we dont have fresh seafood in these parts. Its ashame that fresh water fish wont work

You ever try it with rainbow trout? That's freshwater I think and I imagine it would be the right kind of fish and you could probably get it fresh.

Txclosetgrower said:
You ever try it with rainbow trout? That's freshwater I think and I imagine it would be the right kind of fish and you could probably get it fresh.

Actually I have tried it in Peru. Yeah they actually have trout farms in the Andes Mtns there but to us trout (trucha as they call it in Peru) is not very good at all

My suggestion for fish is a firm, white fleshed salt water fish. Can be any species, but fresh! I've used what is called 'flake' here, which is actually shark meat.

As for the curing fineexampl, the citrus from the limes 'cooks' the fish and depending on thickness of your diced fish, it may take less/more time, but 30mins sounds about right.

Hmmm....we've got quite a selection of salt water fish here. Mullet wouldn't work i can just about assure you of that but i wonder how it'd be with grouper?

fineexampl said:
Now....wouldn't you soak it overnight?? just curious if the cure is safe after 30min.
Nope. 30 minutes to 1 hour does it

Sickmont said:
Hmmm....we've got quite a selection of salt water fish here. Mullet wouldn't work i can just about assure you of that but i wonder how it'd be with grouper?
Yeah I bet the grouper would make a good cebiche

Grouper or any other high oil fish makes for a great ceviche. The more fat, the more tender and less 'dry' the fish or seafood will be after 'cooking' it in the acid. When using shrimp or scallops, the smaller the better. They have a more fishier taste due to the iodine levels, but remain much more tender compared to larger sizes.

Any ceviche is great! You can not go wrong with some spicy marinated fish!

ring sting said:
As for the curing fineexampl, the citrus from the limes 'cooks' the fish and depending on thickness of your diced fish, it may take less/more time, but 30mins sounds about right.

BrianS said:
Nope. 30 minutes to 1 hour does it

Yeah I bet the grouper would make a good cebiche
I'm familiar with the practice of it, but i've never heard of 30-1hr. I always thought it was overnight. I don't eat raw fish or cured fish, so i was just curious. I just can't take the texture of raw meat of any kind.

Thanks though. :)

I wonder if dolphin (mahi-mahi) could be used...it is a firm fleshed fish and all I know is it is delicious fried in small chunks..

AJ-
Mahi-mahi is excellent in ceviche. The best is halibut straight from the drink, preferrably the cheeks. I rarely make landfall with the cheeks still intact, I whup up the ceviche right on the boat!

I see some greenery in there, Brian- is that cilantro? That's what I use, otherwise my recipe is just what you're doing there.

AlabamaJack said:
I wonder if dolphin (mahi-mahi) could be used...it is a firm fleshed fish and all I know is it is delicious fried in small chunks..

When my friend's Peruvian in-laws made some for me they explained that it was made from dolphin, so i would have to answer yes.

Back